Great lake boats, a good video

/ Great lake boats, a good video #591  
Quick question for folks that know and understand stuff on reciprocating steam engines please correct me if I'm wrong is the SS Badgers skinner uniflow considered a quadruple expansion compound steam engine? My limited understanding is it has twin four cylinder steam engines with 2 smaller cylinders for high pressure steam and 2 larger cylinders for lower pressure per engine?

/ Great lake boats, a good video #592  
Quick question for folks that know and understand stuff on reciprocating steam engines please correct me if I'm wrong is the SS Badgers skinner uniflow considered a quadruple expansion compound steam engine? My limited understanding is it has twin four cylinder steam engines with 2 smaller cylinders for high pressure steam and 2 larger cylinders for lower pressure per engine?
The way I understand it is each cylinder has two pistons. One large one on the bottom and one small one on the top. Since the steam enters and exits on each side of each piston, that's 4 entries and 4 exits on each stroke.

Is that quadruple expansion? Or is that two-stroke double expansion? I have no idea, but it sure is neat.

/ Great lake boats, a good video #595  
Drone video of the Mark Barker under construction in Sturgeon Bay. Looks like he'll be a front unloader type boat.
i'm not a boat guy, thankfully my brother got that gene but.....

first time i've heard a boat referred to as a him....he...

I see the name so makes sense but....first time for me.

/ Great lake boats, a good video
I'm surprised that the badger has no thrusters... The Ranger III is the Isle boat that resides here in Houghton. In this video you can see its thrusters being used multiple times and the loud wine you hear is them. The canal he rotates around in has a strong current. I've been on this boat a few times and in its engine room.
Arlyn Ranger engine room (DL).jpg
Isle Royal Ranger(DL).jpg

/ Great lake boats, a good video #597  
I'm surprised that the badger has no thrusters... The Ranger III is the Isle boat that resides here in Houghton. In this video you can see its thrusters being used multiple times and the loud wine you hear is them. The canal he rotates around in has a strong current. I've been on this boat a few times and in its engine room. View attachment 718117View attachment 718118
They have pulling that ship into it's slip like a choreographed science though, using its anchor and mooring lines to sharply pivot that ship is fun to watch.

/ Great lake boats, a good video #598  
The way I understand it is each cylinder has two pistons. One large one on the bottom and one small one on the top. Since the steam enters and exits on each side of each piston, that's 4 entries and 4 exits on each stroke.

Is that quadruple expansion? Or is that two-stroke double expansion? I have no idea, but it sure is neat.

I kind of get how triple and quadruple expansion steam engines work each cylinder is inline as steam pressure decreases cylinders and pistons get larger? So the first cylinder the steam gets to is the smallest getting larger on subsequent cylinders as steam pressure decreases? But on the badgers engines the connecting rod attached to the high pressure smaller piston on the top is connected to the lower pressure larger piston on bottom which in turn is connected to the crankshaft? Whoa 🤯

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211024-092604.png
    Screenshot_20211024-092604.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 40