Great lake boats, a good video

/ Great lake boats, a good video #962  
In a peripherally related subject, I heard on NPR this afternoon that there is a growing worldwide shortage of chick peas or garbanzo beans, which are a major source of protein in some countries.
So those of you that consume hummus, expect or be paying more.

/ Great lake boats, a good video #963  
While looking through my rather large collection f pictures, I found these of a boat on Lake Superior in a storm. Would make my butt pucker if I was on that boat.
Can't quite make out the first word of the name, but the last is Settler.

Attachments

• Lake Superior Boat #1.jpg
    Lake Superior Boat #1.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 57
  • Lake Superior Boat #2.jpg
    Lake Superior Boat #2.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 61
  • Lake Superior Boat #3.jpg
    Lake Superior Boat #3.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 60
  • Lake Superior Boat #4.jpg
    Lake Superior Boat #4.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 63
  • Lake Superior Boat #5.jpg
    Lake Superior Boat #5.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 62
   / Great lake boats, a good video #964  
Figure in the freeboard on those ships, really makes you respect the great lakes imo.

/ Great lake boats, a good video #965  
Biggest wave recorded on lake Superior was 29' that's a three story building! near Marquette, due to the distances of the shorelines the length between crest and trough are pretty close making them steep. Sometimes a wave overtakes another and builds. I've been on lake Michigan where it seemed like every 4th or 5th wave was bigger than the other sets some breaking in hundreds of feet of water as they overtake smaller waves. It can get real nasty out there. Props to folks that work on the great lakes.
rechttps://www.boreal.org/2021/12/16/378379/staggering-wave-heights-expected-on-lake-superior#:~:text=The%20highest%20wave%20ever%20recorded,wave%20heights%20of%2030%20feet.

Last edited:
   / Great lake boats, a good video #967  
Not much loaded to the Plimsol mark.
While looking through my rather large collection f pictures, I found these of a boat on Lake Superior in a storm. Would make my butt pucker if I was on that boat.
The third and last picture would definitely make me be "puckering" and give me white knuckles.

/ Great lake boats, a good video #968  
The one lake that can get real nasty real quick is Erie because it's shallow. It can go from calm to wicked in a matter of minutes.

/ Great lake boats, a good video
I believe that boat is a saltie.

/ Great lake boats, a good video #970  
I believe that boat is a saltie.
Don't think so, it's the Selkirk Settler.

Edit: I guess it is a saltie. Found one of the same pictures that says it was taken in the north Atlantic.

1658197707538.png

Last edited: