Greenhouse ideas

/ Greenhouse ideas #1  

aarolar

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota MX4800
My wife is extremely selfless, I constantly spend money on projects, guns, hunting, tractor parts ect and in the 7 years of our marriage she's been nothing but accepting and giving. Her biggest hobby is growing things she loves orchids and odd stuff like succulents but anyway I digress.

I want to build her a greenhouse in appreciation and I need some advice from the guys at TBN. We don't have tons of spare cash laying around but I'm super handy with tools. My question stems from what material to use on the outer shell of the project, I really would prefer not to use the plastic and I would like whatever I use to be see through and more decorative. Obviously glass would be ideal but I imagine super expensive I'm wondering how the plastic panels would hold up? Lastly do smaller scale greenhouses work properly or is there a minimum size it needs to be to produce the proper greenhouse effect? It will be close enough to the house I can power it for heat and vent fans if that helps.

/ Greenhouse ideas #2  
How to Build an Inexpensive Hoop-Style Greenhouse | Alberta Home Gardening

I read this three years ago and was inspired to build one for my wife. I was caught buy how inexpensive this article depicted you could build one for. The one I've built is 12x30 and cost me just over $600. Harbor Freight sells a kit for a greenhouse for about the same price but is smaller than the one I built. My wife doesn't use the house I built for her even though she asked for one for years but I'm using it for my mini farm. I think the HF greenhouse is a good size and price, I probably should have bought one but I enjoyed the entire process of building and assembly of mine. image.jpeg

/ Greenhouse ideas #3  
How to Build an Inexpensive Hoop-Style Greenhouse | Alberta Home Gardening

I read this three years ago and was inspired to build one for my wife. I was caught buy how inexpensive this article depicted you could build one for. The one I've built is 12x30 and cost me just over $600. Harbor Freight sells a kit for a greenhouse for about the same price but is smaller than the one I built. My wife doesn't use the house I built for her even though she asked for one for years but I'm using it for my mini farm. I think the HF greenhouse is a good size and price, I probably should have bought one but I enjoyed the entire process of building and assembly of mine.View attachment 498023

I would question the overall strength of such a structure using PVC tubing.
The hooped greenhouse is definitely the most bang for the buck though.
Using two layers of plastic for covering is best, with a small blower keeping the layers inflated.
I would definitely suggest using ONLY steel pipe hoops, unless you want to rebuild after each thunderstorm.
I had a 17' x 50' inflated house greenhouse for many years.
I still have all the pieces, including new cover material.
Wish you lived closer. I would make you a deal that you could likely not refuse.

/ Greenhouse ideas #4  
If this is going to be near the house, you probably want something aesthetically pleasing. My "grand plan for a greenhouse" is to use the window panels out of a couple of sets of French doors that I got from a house that was broken into. The door sets are 6' wide, so using both of them would give me a south facing set of windows that are approximately 7' high and 12' wide. The window panels are actually double pane, so I'm debating whether or not I want to completely disassemble them and have 8 panels of single pane glass.

Here's a link that might give you ideas...Google

My point is that you might be able to scour Craigslist or some building supply houses for damaged or "used" doors, windows, etc. that you might be able to use in your project.

Be careful doing something nice like this for your wife. I found out that once you start doing it - they expect you to KEEP doing it! :laughing:

/ Greenhouse ideas
I would question the overall strength of such a structure using PVC tubing.
The hooped greenhouse is definitely the most bang for the buck though.
Using two layers of plastic for covering is best, with a small blower keeping the layers inflated.
I would definitely suggest using ONLY steel pipe hoops, unless you want to rebuild after each thunderstorm.
I had a 17' x 50' inflated house greenhouse for many years.
I still have all the pieces, including new cover material.
Wish you lived closer. I would make you a deal that you could likely not refuse.
I'm thinking I want to do a barn style house no PVC or hoop style while functional it's not asthetically pleasing at all.

b942191abf889cef17734917919d7368.jpg

/ Greenhouse ideas #6  
Growing season is already starting in GA!!
Maybe you need something to hold you over until the GH goes up?

This is what I use,, translucent plastic barrels, cut in half.

Greenhouse_zps1e6416b4.jpg

I never have had one blow away!! :thumbsup:

greenhouse1_zps33125a99.jpg

My wife has used them for over 5 years to keep repeatedly starting lettuce.

/ Greenhouse ideas
Growing season is already starting in GA!!
Maybe you need something to hold you over until the GH goes up?

This is what I use,, translucent plastic barrels, cut in half.

Greenhouse_zps1e6416b4.jpg

I never have had one blow away!!

greenhouse1_zps33125a99.jpg

My wife has used them for over 5 years to keep repeatedly starting lettuce.
It never really ended this year honestly been extremely mild this winter...

/ Greenhouse ideas #9  
I'm thinking I want to do a barn style house no PVC or hoop style while functional it's not asthetically pleasing at all.

b942191abf889cef17734917919d7368.jpg

Well now, I'm sure that is asthetically pleasing and while my wife perhaps would have liked one this nice. Mine is in the back pasture away from my home and if the wildlife don't care for its looks oh well. But maybe that's what she means when she says I'm cheap maybe I should remind her that she ain't selfless.

/ Greenhouse ideas
Well now, I'm sure that is asthetically pleasing and while my wife perhaps would have liked one this nice. Mine is in the back pasture away from my home and if the wildlife don't care for its looks oh well. But maybe that's what she means when she says I'm cheap maybe I should remind her that she ain't selfless.
Don't get me wrong now there is nothing wrong with your greenhouse it's just not exactly what I have in mind, if it's in your back pasture do you heat it with gas or not at all?