Grizzly H8153 TIG/Stick welder - Anybody ever heard of this?

/ Grizzly H8153 TIG/Stick welder - Anybody ever heard of this? #21  
Get some 7018 and try it on your new DC welder. You will like the beads. Restrikes after that first arc strike are a problem with 7018 as a "corn" forms over the end of the rod insulating it as soon as you break the arc. This "corn" must be removed before you can restrike the rod. I just use my leather gloved thumb to break it off, some guys peck around to break it or there are other techniques. Also try some 7014, it does require more current but you could try some 3/32. 7014 is extremely easy to run. It will almost run itself. Some people call it "idiot rod". But 7018 is my rod of choice for smooth beads, and strength. Get back with us when you start down TIG road. You are going to like it.

/ Grizzly H8153 TIG/Stick welder - Anybody ever heard of this?
I just posted about these in the HF thread. I expect more people there may have comments.

The photos I included above were stock photos from online. Here's my own photo:

499482d1487637365-harbor-freight-tools-dont-suck-img_20170214_122627rhf-grizzlywelders-jpg

/ Grizzly H8153 TIG/Stick welder - Anybody ever heard of this? #23  
Everything works!

Yesterday I set up the modded Harbor Freight Mig 180, everything worked as it should.

Today I cobbled together power-cord adapters to get power into the Grizzly Tig. (When I go to town I'll buy a regular 50 amp plug for it to match my other stuff.) Since I don't have gas attached I set it on minimum power and 0.5 sec pulse, (to not overheat the tip) and ran it for a moment. It's all there.

Then I switched to Stick mode, attached that cable, and tried 1/8" 6011. That sure welds cleaner than the same rod run from my 230A-AC Montgomery Wards antique.

Both welders, the HF mig and the Grizzly Tig, are keepers.

I can't understand why he offered them for so little. Not stolen, he provided the purchase receipt for the HF, both manuals, and I found where he has discussed both online including the mods to the HF. He said they had to be sold before he moved this weekend, I guess that's the explanation. His online posts show he has moved up to larger pro welders so these really were unneeded.

I'm happy. :jump::jump::jump: :cheerful::cheerful::cheerful:

Congrats!!

I'm very jealous, and now I'll have to start using SearchTempest again.

Thomas