Grooming mower with no shear pin or slip clutch protection?

/ Grooming mower with no shear pin or slip clutch protection? #1  

TN8Man

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti NX5010 CAB HST
I bought my tractor in a package deal that came with a Titan grooming mower and the PTO drive shaft. The PTO drive shaft has the button release spline on both ends. The grooming mower uses two belts, small one for gear box and large for the three blades.

Question: With belt drive do I still need a drive shaft with either a shear pin or slip clutch?

I hit something (probably a tree root) the last day I used it and noticed one blade not cutting. When I inspected the mower I found the spindle threads striped on the blade/spindle assembly that was not turning. I also found the blade bent and the PTO drive shaft bent. I replaced the spindle and blade and now looking for a drive shaft replacement.

Obviously I'm thinking I need a shear pin or slip clutch but I'm wondering if a belt driven mower does not require it. The manual talked about the drive shaft for safety and proper length but never mentioned I must use a slip clutch (the mower has a spline connection).

/ Grooming mower with no shear pin or slip clutch protection? #2  
I'm curious how bending a spindle on a belt driven mower transferred enough force to bend the PTO shaft? Unless the entire mower jumped so hard from hitting whatever it was that the mower jumping caused the PTO shaft to bend?

/ Grooming mower with no shear pin or slip clutch protection?
It surprised me too. Actually, I did not discover the bent drive shaft until after I replaced the spindle and blade and I was starting to use the mower for the first time.

/ Grooming mower with no shear pin or slip clutch protection? #4  
How low are you mowing????

The spindle metal is too soft. The V belt should have sheared or become glazed upon impact.

If the Gearbox is not a COMER gearbox I would be very concerned about owning this mower.

You should go to tractor supply and purchase a Eurocardan PTO shaft with a slip clutch sized for
the tractor PTO horsepower you have. If they do not have one in stock they will order one for you and it
should be there within a week or less at your door or the pick up box in store

It's set for ~3".

The gearbox is not COMER.

/ Grooming mower with no shear pin or slip clutch protection? #6  
I would think on grooming mower belts will slip before breaking something..hmmm

I would think on grooming mower belts will slip before breaking something..hmmm
Actually, a few years ago I ran over a stick that jammed the belt drive and the belt started smoking.

/ Grooming mower with no shear pin or slip clutch protection? #10  
How old is the unit? I'm impressed with the strength of your belt! Not impressed with the other failed parts...