GST Transmission and loader function

/ GST Transmission and loader function #1  

catvet

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L-39
I'm renting a L39 for the weekend to try it out. This is my first time using a GST transmission. Love the tractor not sure about the GST. I'm use to my B7800 and it's HST.

Here's a scenario: I'm approaching a log with pallet forks, the log is on my uphill side (only way to get to the log is coming straight up from downhill). I slip the forks under the log. There is a tree directly on the other side of the log so I can't go further forward. But the log is a big sucker and I need to to throttle up to lift it. I put in the clutch. Oops I'm heading back down the hill gaining speed as I go. How about shifting into neutral, nope same back down the hill problem. Can't use the brake because my foot is already on the throttle. What is the proper hand/foot action for this situation?

Same thing in the downhill direction. I'm dumping a load of brush and facing sl. downhill. I'd like to raise the loader but if I use the throttle I'm heading either forward or reverse unless I have the clutch in or I'm in neutral in which case I'm rolling into the pile.

I know a lot of people have the GST transmissions and love them. I can see it's positive features but I do a lot of loader/fork work on hills (it is after all Vermont). I'm sure I'm missing something to make this go smoothly.

Any help appreciated. I'd like to love this L39 because the backhoe and loader lift ability are exactly what I want without a massive sized tractor.

/ GST Transmission and loader function #2  
GST trans is great for open field work, lots of flexibililty with great efficiency compared to an HST. Downside is it really sucks for fine control loader work.
If you used an HST with a loader you wouldn't even consider doing without one. It lets you get really close to buildings and finished structures without worrying about hitting them once you are used to it.

/ GST Transmission and loader function #3  
catvet said:
What is the proper hand/foot action for this situation?

Heal/toe.. Toe of your foot on brakes while you use your heal on the throttle.

There should also be a hand throttle on the tractor. If you need it use it..

/ GST Transmission and loader function #4  
Low range,1st gear,you ain't going nowhere very fast.

/ GST Transmission and loader function
Thanks for the feedback. I'm heading back out today to practice some more. Need to feel more comfortable with loader if going to buy.

/ GST Transmission and loader function #6  
catvet said:
Can't use the brake because my foot is already on the throttle. What is the proper hand/foot action for this situation?
Just keep the engine speed up with the hand throttle as suggested. Then just use the shuttle shift and the brake. Once you get the hang of it, it will become second nature. Other than engaging the PTO, I hardly ever even touch the clutch.

Gary

/ GST Transmission and loader function #7  
X2 what Gary said. Quick answer, feather the clutch.
Keep RPMs up with hand throttle. In a situation where you are on a hill and pushing under or into something that doesnt want to move, you can feather the clutch some to keep from stalling or rolling. This leaves both hands free to steer and work the loader. As you are doing this, you can also modulate your RPMs with your right foot for extra bursts of power or speed.
If its any consolation, After using my 3130 with GST for all kinds of work, mostly on hill sides, I had trouble when I got my BX w/HST. While Ive gotten used to the HST now, I still actually prefer the GST on hills. The HST sorta does its own thing and I feel like Im just along for the ride, I had maximum control with the GST.
Its really about what you are used to.

used the tractor for several hours today. Feels better though still not quite there. Several posters mentioned the hand throttle. The only hand throttle I have is the one on the right behind me for the backhoe. It would be tough to use that while trying to do the loader.

/ GST Transmission and loader function #9  
catvet said:
used the tractor for several hours today. Feels better though still not quite there. Several posters mentioned the hand throttle. The only hand throttle I have is the one on the right behind me for the backhoe. It would be tough to use that while trying to do the loader.

There isnt a throttle lever on the steering wheel column?

RayH said:
There isnt a throttle lever on the steering wheel column?
Nope. Just Forward and Reverse Shuttle