GT235 issue

/ GT235 issue #1  

EngineerBoy

Tractor
John Deere GT235
I have a GT235, started it up this week, it ran for 30-ish seconds, then stopped. It would turn over but not fire. No dash lights at this point.

Battery was a bit low so I charged it. It again turned over but didn't fire. AND the red oil pressure indicator lit up at this point. Note the engine was not running when the indicator came on, just cranking. Oil level is good.

At that point I left it overnight and mowed with push mower, 2 acres, RIP my glutes.

Next day battery is DEAD. Charged it again and now it won't crank, oil indicator on. Disconnected the battery completely, reconnected, and as soon as the battery connections are made (no attempt at starting) the red oil indicator lights.

Would this be a bad oil pressure sensor? Anything else to check? Briggs and Stratton engine.

/ GT235 issue #2  
I would start by making sure that the fuel solenoid on the bottom of the carb clicks either by sound or feel when the key is turned on. If that works out.. then need to pull a spark plug and crank the engine while having the spark plug connected to the spark plug wire and grounding the plug against the engine.

/ GT235 issue #3  
I have a GT235, started it up this week, it ran for 30-ish seconds, then stopped. It would turn over but not fire. No dash lights at this point.

Battery was a bit low so I charged it. It again turned over but didn't fire. AND the red oil pressure indicator lit up at this point. Note the engine was not running when the indicator came on, just cranking. Oil level is good.

At that point I left it overnight and mowed with push mower, 2 acres, RIP my glutes.

Next day battery is DEAD. Charged it again and now it won't crank, oil indicator on. Disconnected the battery completely, reconnected, and as soon as the battery connections are made (no attempt at starting) the red oil indicator lights.

Would this be a bad oil pressure sensor? Anything else to check? Briggs and Stratton engine.

By any chance did you leave the on/off/start switch in the on position ?

If not, then perhaps you have a bad battery.

/ GT235 issue #4  
I agree with Richard, your battery may be toast. Clean all terminals, charge, and load test battery. I don't know your machine but in my experience the low oil pressure light illuminates when you turn on the key - it's a bulb test to ensure it's working. When the engine is cranked the light should go out. If yours does not go out when cranking the engine the sensor is defective or you have zero oil pressure. Some machines will not run with zero oil pressure. If the battery is working properly it should spin the engine fast enough to build the necessary pressure to extinguish the light.

/ GT235 issue

Yeah, looks like a bad battery. I took it off and charged it on the bench, checked and had 12.6V. Let it rest for an hour, unconnected to anything, and voltage dropped to 10.5V. Tried charging it again on the bench overnight, same results, so looks like shorted/dead cell(s). Picking up a new battery later today which will hopefully fix the issue.

/ GT235 issue
Yeah, looks like a bad battery. I took it off and charged it on the bench, checked and had 12.6V. Let it rest for an hour, unconnected to anything, and voltage dropped to 10.5V. Tried charging it again on the bench overnight, same results, so looks like shorted/dead cell(s). Picking up a new battery later today which will hopefully fix the issue.
Confirmed to be a bad battery. Put the new one in just now and it fired right up.

In the interim I also tried bench charging the old batter, it would get to full, immediate read was 12.4-12.6V, but after a couple of hours it would drop back down to 10.5V. Left overnight it stuck at around 10.3-10.4V, fyi.