Guy is renting out his tractor for 6 month period

/ Guy is renting out his tractor for 6 month period #1  

paulsharvey

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti CK2610 HST
So I saw locally, on FB Marketplace, a Canadian snow bird renting out his 85hp tractor for a 6 month period for $1750/month, while he lives back up north. Never heard of anyone doing this. I dont know if I think its a clever way to make 12 months of payments off someone's 6 month 'lease', or a terrible idea. He goes on for probably 3 paragraphs about getting it back in perfect condition, you covering it on your own insurance, you doing all the maintenance, ect. I'm not considering renting, just something odd I saw for the first time.
Screenshot_20230508_095442_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20230508_095432_Facebook.jpg

Seems like you might be about 25% below rental yard prices; but locked into 6 months, and insurance, maintenance are 100% of renter.

/ Guy is renting out his tractor for 6 month period #2  
Just look at what dealers consider "normal wear and tear". If this person demands that the tractor is returned in exactly the same condition, how could the renter ever use it? What if you slightly cut a tire on something sharp, will the owner demand new tire(s)? This may seem like a good deal but may go south real quick.

/ Guy is renting out his tractor for 6 month period #4  
I no longer believe anything I see on FB Marketplace, or Kijiji.

So far I've tried to buy 5 "restored" antique tractors this month.

Didn't even haggle their price, said I'll take it. Never heard back from any of them and they don't return calls.

/ Guy is renting out his tractor for 6 month period #8  
I'd hate to be the person who takes this deal- just from the wording in the post (our "beautiful machine" is "perfect" and we expect it to come back "perfect") I'm not sure he really understands wear and tear on mechanical things. I mean if you take this thing and the first time you start it up the engine seizes is it your responsibility to replace? And even if it is perfect right now, if someone really uses it for the 1000 hrs allowed (unlikely as that would be basically 40 hrs a week, but that's what he's advertising) it's simply not going to be perfect any more. You rent something out for 1000 hours, you're basically selling 10% of the machine's life.

Beyond that, a French Canadian who puts "PhD" in his FB display name? Oof, Madone. I'd take a guess that he might be a bit self-important and difficult to work with.

/ Guy is renting out his tractor for 6 month period #9  
This looks like it would end up with both parties upset at the end of the deal. Lol.

/ Guy is renting out his tractor for 6 month period
So, unless equipment rental has changed a lot over the last 10 years; typically customer is responsible for tires, batteries, "damage", and cleaning. We also normally did the blowing out of air filters. We would get charged for constant fuel filter changes, from water/trash. We didn't change fluids, filters, fix mechanical issues. If (when) we ran it out of diesel, if we wanted them to bleed lines, that was also charged, but we just bleed the injectors our selves. We also beat the he'll out of them.

Last edited: