Guy uses fake check to steal Massey tractor...recognize him?

/ Guy uses fake check to steal Massey tractor...recognize him? #31  
Around here, we have equipment stolen from time to time and it is never found. The belief is that it's taken to the seaport and put on a ship for overseas delivery. The ship leaves before the authorities are notified. (Most stuff stolen is from absentee owners so it's weeks before the theft is noticed).

/ Guy uses fake check to steal Massey tractor...recognize him? #32  
My Kubota dealer had a new customer come in for service on his side by side. They always run the vin number through Kubota to see if there are any recalls and guess what it was stolen. He didn't get it back and the State police payed him a house call. Not a good day for him....
You wouldn't happen to be around Fresno would you? My dealer was telling me a similar story a few weeks ago.

/ Guy uses fake check to steal Massey tractor...recognize him? #34  
Machinery, garage and house theft is going to be greatly magnified with our new crappy economy and $6 diesel fuel prices. We are in 2 states and 4 counties with equipment parked in fields overnight. I only keep 1/4 tank on board anymore.
Already hearing stories of garage break-ins nearby.

/ Guy uses fake check to steal Massey tractor...recognize him? #35  
Just VIN. (number is redundant)

Payed is only a nautical term; should be paid.

Sorry, the teacher in me cannot let it go sometimes.
You and me both! And I'm not a teacher! ---- just 'pizzes' me off when there are grammatical errors!

/ Guy uses fake check to steal Massey tractor...recognize him? #36  
I watched a strange beat up car come down our road yesterday. Watched where it went (we are on top of a hill, so I can see mostly all of the road). It stopped down by the neighbor who has 2 trailers, his plow truck, tractor, and implements all lined up by his fence. I think the guy was "shopping" the neighborhood.
The road is a private dead end road. It is exceptionally rare to have a non resident drive down the road. The neighbor is away camping, so I gave him a call asking if he was having someone "watching the house" for him. He said no and he'll check his security cameras.

Stuff like this makes me paranoid....

/ Guy uses fake check to steal Massey tractor...recognize him? #37  
I can't imagine what it would take to be able to pull off something like this. To BS your way into getting a dealer to accept a fake check based on your fake ID is just beyond my comprehension.

Back in the 90's I was a driver for Airborne Express. One day the police arrived and arrested the sweetest lady that we had working in the office. Super nice and friendly to everyone. Turns out that a driver had a laptop with a bad address, so she did the research on it and supposedly returned it to the shipper as a bad address. What she really did was keep it and give it to her dad for Christmas. He had some issues with it and took it in to a repair shop to have it fixed. They ran the numbers, found out it was stolen and asked him where he got it.

/ Guy uses fake check to steal Massey tractor...recognize him? #38  
I still use a personal check for a lot of purchases.
Depending on what it is and who I'm buying from a few different ways to go about it.
I have meet the person at a branch of my bank to write and give them the check.
If it is at an established dealer, I've written the check on site with delivery scheduled for a few days later.
I would rather use a check or get a check then carry a very large amount of cash, or even to
receive a very large amount of cash ($5-6000+).
I have also accepted a personal check for stuff especially with goggle street view, lots of ID
and the addresses on the ID's agreeing with the checks address.
As long as the bank has offices within a reasonable distance.

/ Guy uses fake check to steal Massey tractor...recognize him? #39  
You and me both! And I'm not a teacher! ---- just 'pizzes' me off when there are grammatical errors!
I think you mean "You and I both!" ;)

Torvy's original sentence was "Sorry, the teacher in me cannot let it go sometimes." Your reply was to agree, saying "You and me both [cannot let it go]," where "cannot let it go" was unnecessary to convey your meaning, thus was correctly omitted as an ellipsis in order to avoid repetition.

The test for whether to use "me" or "I" in your reply is to remove the "You," then see if the sentence still makes sense. We would not ordinarily say "Me cannot let it go." Unless, perhaps, we were quoting Tonto from the old Lone Ranger series.

(Ducking now!) 🤠

Last edited:
   / Guy uses fake check to steal Massey tractor...recognize him? #40