Guys like this are what gives diesel a bad name

/ Guys like this are what gives diesel a bad name #31  
Riding in a pack is both illegal and far more dangerous. We are not blaming these victims, the kid driving was out of line. Just pointing out that bike riders, apparently like you, do not know or follow the law but get indignant when cars use the road they pay for...it is not only about the damage. I say this as someone who has been driving a car for 42 years and road biking for 39.

It's a myth that fuel taxes pay for roads. Fuel taxes pay less than half of the cost of roads, and almost all of that is for divided highways -- where bicycles are almost universally excluded. Local roads -- the kinds cyclists use -- are almost entirely paid for by local taxes, primarily real estate and sales taxes. Which just about everyone pays.

/ Guys like this are what gives diesel a bad name #32  
It's a myth that fuel taxes pay for roads. Fuel taxes pay less than half of the cost of roads, and almost all of that is for divided highways -- where bicycles are almost universally excluded. Local roads -- the kinds cyclists use -- are almost entirely paid for by local taxes, primarily real estate and sales taxes. Which just about everyone pays.

Also local wheel taxes when you buy plates.

/ Guys like this are what gives diesel a bad name #33  
Thanks for the confirmation.
The confirmation that it's legal to ride abreast when training for a race, which they were, an ironman race? That part? The part right there in that link?

Sec. 551.105. Competitive Racing​

(a) In this section, “bicycle” means a non-motorized vehicle propelled by human power.
(b) A sponsoring organization may hold a competitive bicycle race on a public road only with the approval of the appropriate local law enforcement agencies.
(c) The local law enforcement agencies and the sponsoring organization may agree on safety regulations governing the movement of bicycles during a competitive race or during training for a competitive race, including the permission for bicycle operators to ride abreast.

From the news stories:
among a larger group participating in a training ride for the Ironman Texas competition, along Highway 290 near Waller, Texas

/ Guys like this are what gives diesel a bad name #35  
The confirmation that it's legal to ride abreast when training for a race, which they were, an ironman race? That part? The part right there in that link?

Sec. 551.105. Competitive Racing​

From the news stories:
among a larger group participating in a training ride for the Ironman Texas competition, along Highway 290 near Waller, Texas
Read the whole thing. They have to have special permission to ride more than 2 abreast, and then it is on set aside, meaning the cops block it off to traffic...even 2 abreast they cannot impede traffic. Just saying they were training for a race does not give them permission to block roads. Again, I am not talking about this group, but riders in DFW area. Waller is down by Houston.
I have been impeded by them and I have had them behave very rude!y to riders who are not part of their cliques. There are groups that ride during rush hour on arterial roads. No local police are going to give them the OK to do it. Most of this subset of bike riders act like self-important jack wagons on local roads.
The kid driving was not cited, the most likely reason for that was that the bicyclists were not riding correctly on a public road. He could still be arrested, but if he was as clearly at fault as the witness claimed, he would have been arrested at the scene. Hopefully, a full investigation will fill in the details and justice will be served either way....

/ Guys like this are what gives diesel a bad name #36  
Read the whole thing. They have to have special permission to ride more than 2 abreast, and then it is on set aside, meaning the cops block it off to traffic...even 2 abreast they cannot impede traffic. Just saying they were training for a race does not give them permission to block roads. Again, I am not talking about this group, but riders in DFW area. Waller is down by Houston.
I have been impeded by them and I have had them behave very rude!y to riders who are not part of their cliques. There are groups that ride during rush hour on arterial roads. No local police are going to give them the OK to do it. Most of this subset of bike riders act like self-important jack wagons on local roads.
The kid driving was not cited, the most likely reason for that was that the bicyclists were not riding correctly on a public road. He could still be arrested, but if he was as clearly at fault as the witness claimed, he would have been arrested at the scene. Hopefully, a full investigation will fill in the details and justice will be served either way....
I am not saying that the bikers in the story or the ones you encounter count, but there is an exception you should be aware of called "taking the lane" which is legal everywhere I know of.

One of the allowances for taking the lane is that a car and bike will not fit side by side safely in the lane.

/ Guys like this are what gives diesel a bad name #37  
Not really the problem. I ride, too. 2 abreast is really only a good idea when you are taking the lane. Taking the lane is rarely necessary around here. Most, but not all, of the roads I drive in the city are full width with shoulder. I know that most of the problem bikers are doing so out of ignorance. They are following their friends who tell them they can do whatever they want. If people see others doing things incorrectly, they often assume it must be OK. Then, they get indignant because in their heads they are doing something legal.

The Findlaw article clearly spells out my point, unless a roadway is set aside exclusively for bicycles (race training or whatever) they may not ride more than 2 abreast. The ones I come across are bunched up as of they were riding in a race, from the shoulder to the paint...and sometimes over the line.

/ Guys like this are what gives diesel a bad name #38  
Never have understood the purpose to putting a 5 gallon bucket as your exhaust tip. All the stupid farm kids and wanna be farmers living in the city around here do it. Just straight up annoying.

And yes, I was a kid that had dual exhaust on his pickup truck...but it was just loud, not throwing black smoke everywhere so people couldn't see through an intersection for the entire light change.
My kid is a ”farm kid” and hasn’t done any exhaust mods to any of our trucks. Please don’t stereotype people. It’s really not farmers so much as the latter, the wannabe farmers.
Our roads wind in all different directions. Lots of blind curves. If you get caught behind bikes on a few of the worst ones, you better call ahead and tell them you’ll be late. You could be stuck behind them for 5-10 minutes.

Last edited:
   / Guys like this are what gives diesel a bad name #39  
"the evidence will be presented before a grand jury likely in October or November. They will determine whether to indict the teenager on criminal charges."

/ Guys like this are what gives diesel a bad name #40  
A muzzle device on a hunting rifle is often called a compensator. That's what I call a gallon tail-pipe extension, 34" tires that never go off road, cast iron scrotes hanging from the hitch, flags in stake pockets, loud pipes, ... and a guy who rolls coal.