Half ton pickup tires

/ Half ton pickup tires #1  

ericm979

Tractor
Branson 3725H Deere 5105
The factory tires on my Tundra are getting close to worn out. They're P-metric tires. Looking at tires I see P-metric, metric and LT tires. This is a 2wd truck which sees some dirt roads but not a lot and nothing difficult. Which type should I go with?

The factory Bridgestone Dueler H/Ts are terrible. They're down to 5/32 or 4/32 after only 16k miles and have poor traction in the wet. Right now I'm leaning towards metric. The LTs in the same nominal size are different enough diameter that I'd need to buy one for the spare, and they seem heavier duty than I need.

/ Half ton pickup tires #2  
If you're not hauling heavy loads or towing or spending a lot of time on rocky dirt roads then stay with the P-metric. They'll get the best fuel mileage.

I drive mainly dirt roads so I had to go with LT tires in load range E. Rougher ride (stiff sidewalls) and heavier tire cost me close to 2 mpg. But not as much worry about rocks breaking the tires.

/ Half ton pickup tires #3  
If you're not hauling heavy loads or towing or spending a lot of time on rocky dirt roads then stay with the P-metric. They'll get the best fuel mileage.

I drive mainly dirt roads so I had to go with LT tires in load range E. Rougher ride (stiff sidewalls) and heavier tire cost me close to 2 mpg. But not as much worry about rocks breaking the tires.
Agreed. I got tired of buying tires and run ten plys on everything, including my Tesla Colorado :D. Yet as you already pointed out, you lose things like ride and fuel economy. I also suspect they may have a bit less traction, as there's less "give" in the footprint.

/ Half ton pickup tires #4  
Some of the LT's are a "C" range or 6 ply tire.
My RAM has C rated tires on it from the factory,
but load capacity wise they were not much different from the P series.

/ Half ton pickup tires #6  
I put LT's Michelins on my Tundra when it needed new shoes since it spent most of the time with a travel trailer on it and I really cannot tell much if any difference in the ride.

/ Half ton pickup tires #7  
Go LT - P rated tires have no business on light duty trucks. The only reason they are installed from the factory is to meet CAFE ratings.

Many truck manufacturers have an LT option when being ordered.

Toyo Open Country AT 3 are excellent tires.

Last edited:
   / Half ton pickup tires #8  
Bridgestone Revo’s. Phenomenal all season tires with very decent tread life without sacrificing traction. They really got this one dialed in perfectly.

/ Half ton pickup tires #9  
I'd vote for the LT's too. I think have the extra "strength" is worth it. Had to get rid of my F350 last year; have an Explorer now. I'd put LT rated tires on it if I could....