Hand held Brush Cutter

/ Hand held Brush Cutter #21  
Stihl gas powered FS90 (?) with the handlebars and the Stihl brush blade that looks like a circular saw blade for me.

But I am curious about those saying to treat with something mixed with diesel. Where do you find any sort of a sprayer that is rated to handle diesel or any solvent? We have Buckthorn around here and the DNR suggests something mixed with diesel sprayed on it in the fall but every hand sprayer i see says no diesel, gas or anything like it.

/ Hand held Brush Cutter #22  
Here you go, low maintenance. Safe. May be a little work...

1633488026746.png

/ Hand held Brush Cutter #23  
This is Amazon’s choice! Don’t be lured in by the low price and thoughts of saving time and money by not needing to go to the gym. My dad had me cut 1 acre of wild wheat with this awful tool when I was a kid. After I moved away from home I didn’t talk to him for a year.
View attachment 715842
My folks had one, they didn't buy it to use themselves. It was fun the first 6 swings or so. They also had a machete that they didn't use, I have no idea of how many hours I spent between age 10 to 18 cutting Salmon berry and Himalaya BlackBerry brush with those tools. I own neither now, I do have a Stihl FS 150 with various types of cutters now and a 5 foot brush hog.😆

/ Hand held Brush Cutter #24  
I use a stihl FS240 with harness. The one problem with brush cutters is that moving the cut brush is difficult. You have to unclip the cutter from your harness. If you have thick brush where you often need to pull the stuff you just cut out of the way to get to the stuff behind it, the cutter and harness is a lot less useful than a chainsaw that you can put down and pick up more easily.

It's also not good for woody stuff that's got much of a diameter to it. Anything over about 3/4-1" and I'd rather use a chainsaw.

The Garlon 4 in diesel works well but you have to apply it when the plants are growing (it works by disrupting growth).
Pole saw works well on the medium sized brushy stuff, lets you reach in without getting tangled up in it.

/ Hand held Brush Cutter #26  
... I am curious about those saying to treat with something mixed with diesel. Where do you find any sort of a sprayer that is rated to handle diesel or any solvent? We have Buckthorn around here and the DNR suggests something mixed with diesel sprayed on it in the fall but every hand sprayer i see says no diesel, gas or anything like it.
That's a good point. I have a 2 gallon, all plastic 10+ year old super cheap sprayer dedicated for my mix full time, ready to "grab n go". I recall having a problem once when the longer I used it, the slower the spray until nothing came out. I think I had to replace a tiny o-ring in the trigger with a nitrile o-ring because the OEM would swell while spraying. I have a cheap box of assorted nitrile o-rings.

If I were to buy another sprayer, I think I'd ignore the warnings, but be prepared to replace an o-ring or store my mix in a separate jug, then add to the sprayer only when I needed to spray, then return the unused portion back to my storage jug.

/ Hand held Brush Cutter #28  
That's a good point. I have a 2 gallon, all plastic 10+ year old super cheap sprayer dedicated for my mix full time, ready to "grab n go". I recall having a problem once when the longer I used it, the slower the spray until nothing came out. I think I had to replace a tiny o-ring in the trigger with a nitrile o-ring because the OEM would swell while spraying. I have a cheap box of assorted nitrile o-rings.

If I were to buy another sprayer, I think I'd ignore the warnings, but be prepared to replace an o-ring or store my mix in a separate jug, then add to the sprayer only when I needed to spray, then return the unused portion back to my storage jug.
I agree. The guy at Napa told me that rubber for fuel line is special. He said gas and diesel will eat any other rubber or plastic hose. It makes sense that it would apply to other rubber like o-rings.

/ Hand held Brush Cutter #29  
SRM-410U Echo, I primarily use it with string head, but its primarily a brush cutter.

I use this harness

i cut between 3-4 hours, use about 100 feet of string, and 2 tanks of gas.
Thanks for that post. I didn’t know that harnesses that nice existed. I have the smaller echo srm-225, but it absolutely kills my back. (y)

/ Hand held Brush Cutter
Thanks for all the great post, you folks always come through with the right answers because you have the experience! I am clearing for a view mostly. I already have the Fisker loppers with extended handles but that would be back breaking. The chainsaw clearing was bad enough. The hill is too steep to risk using my tractor. I intend to leave the area rough I don't need anything else yo mow...lol