Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #4,062  
I have a similar electronic caliper (but not from HF).

I've also learned to remove the batteries for storage otherwise it always ends up dead. :confused3:

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #4,063  
Yes, always turn it off after use. The 6" Starrett that the HF was compared to had auto shutoff after 1 minute of non-use as I recall.

Have a project coming up that I will use the DC a lot. Will leave a new battery installed, shut off judiciously and see what happens. Maybe first battery was just a dud. Original battery was not installed when I bought it.

I have two of the HF calipers. They are auto shutoff, and each came with one battery installed plus a spare, but so far in several years of occasional use on the older one, it is still on the original battery. I think you just got one bad battery, or maybe your auto-shutoff isn't working right.

- Jay

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #4,064  
Yes, always turn it off after use. The 6" Starrett that the HF was compared to had auto shutoff after 1 minute of non-use as I recall.

Have a project coming up that I will use the DC a lot. Will leave a new battery installed, shut off judiciously and see what happens. Maybe first battery was just a dud. Original battery was not installed when I bought it.

Mine has auto-off and came with a batt installed and a spare..

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #4,065  
What kind of grease do you use in the grinder

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #4,066  

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #4,067  

I just use the general purpose moly grease that comes in the 1 pound cans at auto parts places. If you add about a teaspoon of power punch it thins it down a bit and keeps it from slinging all the way off. It might weep a bit at the seams if there isn't an o-ring or gasket seal, but it's minimal and a fair tradeoff for the superior lubrication.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck
#4,068  
I have two of the HF calipers. They are auto shutoff, and each came with one battery installed plus a spare, but so far in several years of occasional use on the older one, it is still on the original battery. I think you just got one bad battery, or maybe your auto-shutoff isn't working right.

- Jay
You can buy those button batteries dirt cheap off eBay. Look for a LR44 battery.
Example: 10 x AG13 LR44 LR1154 SR44 A76 357A 303 357 Alkaline Coin Cell Button Battery G6 | eBay

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #4,069  
On the electronic calipers, I have the push button kind that I think is the one that auto shuts itself off. I'm not sure because I shut mine off when not being used. As mentioned, I have probably had it nine months or so and it's the original battery. It did not come with a spare.

My first thought is you just got a bad Chinese battery.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #4,070  
How much are the Calipers? I could use them.