Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,081  
I need one because the shop where I get my tires rotated is always full, so I'll do it myself and save.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,082  
I have one of the earthquake impacts but never pull it out because I have this set, and I have to say I use both items pretty regularly. Not sure about posting links, but just go to sears or ebay and type the model # 17729XN. It is only 159 with free shipping on the sears site, which seems like a slamming deal to me. I mostly use the battery impact to remove lug nuts.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,083  
I have one of the cheaper ones and wish I had the Earthquake.
For an air impact wrench - just buy the Earthquake. I wish I had listened to this advice.

I first bought HF's electric one maybe 20 years ago. Heavy, wrist-twisting, and wouldn't break loose lugnuts.

Then I got the cheap long nose one when it was discounted from the usual $22. (twin to this #95310, its review average is only 2/5.
image_13812.jpg

It was only slightly better, some lugnuts were beyond its ability. Replaced it with the inexpensive lightweight composite one that has similar rated torque - 230 ft lbs - the one that is probably a 3/8 tool with a 1/2" nose on it. (#94802. No longer listed.) Measuring tightened bolts with a beam torque gauge, neither will loosen anything above 125 ft lbs.

Finally bought the #68424 Earthquake and HF's 3/8 ID air connectors I showed recently in this thread. I should have used this combination in the first place.

The better air connectors improved the cheaper impact wrenches, but not to where I would recommend them. I reach for the Earthquake to dis-assemble larger bolts but use the lighter compact composite one most of the time.

Another alternative for light work is the Ryobi 18 volt impact driver (not their Impact Wrench). The beam torque wrench (gauge) shows it will do about 60 ft lbs.

Last edited:
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,087  
Yep, I've been looking at the 1/2" Earthquake myself.

Just keep an eye out as they regularly go on sale for $89, and on holiday sale to $79.. Thats the price point I got mine at.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,088  
Just keep an eye out as they regularly go on sale for $89, and on holiday sale to $79.. Thats the price point I got mine at.

Good to know, thanks!

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,089  
One notable thing with my Earthquake impact wrench is that it was very stiff until it got some use. It was hard to switch from F-R until I used it maybe 15-20 times. Then it was easier. Mine has tremendous power and I have loosened big and rusty parts that were rust-welded together. Someone said it was 300 ft lbs but I think way more than that. I have even twisted 1/2" drive shorty extensions in half.

I also use it with 3/4" and 1" adaptors to loosen really big nuts. No problem yet.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #6,090  
Rick,

Did you get the compressor?