Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #7,771  
HF's new welder line. Thanks to Noble18 over on Welding Web for the pictures and descriptions.

His post started considerable discussion - comparison to the name brand welders that these seem to be clones of, and the much higher prices.

New "Vulcan" welder line? - Page 2

I started a new thread about this in the Welding forum here.
But I expect there are more HF customers reading this broad-scope Don't Suck thread who will comment on this. ... :)

attachment.php

View attachment 519690

Last edited:
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #7,772  
One of them looks like a reasonable knock off of my Lincoln MP 210. Not sure I would buy one but HF is getting better all the time.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #7,773  
Are the furniture Dolly's you can get for like $8 worth it? I want to build wheeled platforms for my sprayer (60 lbs) bush hog (500 lbs) and tiller (650 lbs).

For the sprayer I just need one. For the hog and tiller I need 2 each for sure. May need 4 just to have wheels in all the right places. Thinking of cutting them up to get the wheels and build my own platforms out of scrap pallets and dimensional lumber I have.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #7,774  
You would be better off to buy some decent casters and make your own from scratch.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #7,775  
Are the furniture Dolly's you can get for like $8 worth it? I want to build wheeled platforms for my sprayer (60 lbs) bush hog (500 lbs) and tiller (650 lbs).

For the sprayer I just need one. For the hog and tiller I need 2 each for sure. May need 4 just to have wheels in all the right places. Thinking of cutting them up to get the wheels and build my own platforms out of scrap pallets and dimensional lumber I have.
The sprayer sure, the bush hog & the tiller you will want four platforms underneath it and your floor cannot have any gravel or dirt on it or the wheels will jam skid and bend.
What I have started doing is to put them on plain pallets and I picked up a pallet jack at the scrap yard for 30 bucks.

Aaron Z

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #7,776  

I use 2 under the front corners of my 6' KK rotary mower. It works fine, but you have to work with the tail wheel to control your direction. It's not a real easy push but since I only move mine 4 - 6 times a year it works for me. I built a platform for my tiller and use larger caster wheels for that. I have quite a few of the dolly's from HF and use them for many of my small to medium implements.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #7,777  
The $8 dolly is fine for the sprayer although I had a 230 lb weight bracket on it and it rolled fine. It may not forever because the wheels flatten a bit, or something and eventually don't roll as well.

For the tiller and such, I have bought the bigger HF roller swivel wheels with rubber over metal wheels and made my own. They work fine up to around 800 lbs but make sure you disassemble the wheels before mounting and grease them. Whatever is on there for grease likely isn't.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #7,778  

DEFINITELY!!
I've got 20 to 30 of them. Since I've 5,500 sq ft of shed w/ smooth concrete floors early on I decided to make these one of my prime platforms for things that need to be moved occasionally. And I've ended up rearranging things frequently

You would be better off to buy some decent casters and make your own from scratch.
Depends on if you just like to build things for more money. The 4 casters usually cost more than the dolly. Since I started buying them frequently in 2011 I've only managed to break one when I dropped a sheet of 3/4 marine plywood on it edgewise.

I use 2 under the front corners of my 6' KK rotary mower. It works fine, but you have to work with the tail wheel to control your direction. It's not a real easy push but since I only move mine 4 - 6 times a year it works for me. I built a platform for my tiller and use larger caster wheels for that. I have quite a few of the dolly's from HF and use them for many of my small to medium implements.
I've got my 5' rotary mower on 3, my 5' tiller on two, my 19" bandsaw on two, an office desk on two, a few 50 gallon trash cans on 1 each, a 36" toolbox on two and the list goes on. They were great on sale at about $6@, they are still good at $8 each.
I also tried the larger ones- they were not worth it.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #7,780  
The wood dollies are ideal for moving furniture and other cases where it won't stay loaded long enough (months) to get flat spots on the wheels.

I just noticed one of the nuts holding a caster has disappeared off one of mine. At HF final QC is left to the customer. Don't take uniform quality for granted, inspect when new and after a while.

Avoid the smaller plastic dolly! Rated 200 lbs, I stepped on one to test it (180 lbs) after I got home and broke it in half. Got an exchange, broke that one first time I used it. Went back for refund, then went to the display stack, stepped on one there, broke that one. Conclusion: all those are good for is patio flowerpots less than 50 lbs.