Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #8,881  
I've been using HF coupons on my phone for a couple of years.
It's the best way to use them over and over.
At first the upc scanners at the registers could not scan a upc on a phone.
The HFs here, Long Island, Ny and also in Charlotte NC have upgraded and can scan a upc on a phone. I've done it in both places!

When they couldn't scan the phone I would just enlarge the numbers under the upc for them to read and type into the register.
Never a problem

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #8,882  
I use the HF coupon site and either screenshot or e-mail pics of the coupons to my phone. Simple. On occasion I will print them but I don't bother with the fliers anymore.

So is there a replacement for the high flow air couplers yet? I saw some new ones listed in one of their fliers recently.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #8,883  
I use the HF coupon site and either screenshot or e-mail pics of the coupons to my phone. Simple. On occasion I will print them but I don't bother with the fliers anymore.

So is there a replacement for the high flow air couplers yet? I saw some new ones listed in one of their fliers recently.
Yes, Home Depot stocks them. They are 3/8" type T couplers. I just purchased them last weekend and they mate as expected to the Harbor Freight 3/8" type T. They are hard as heck to connect when you have 155 psi on the line, but you can do it. They are essentially the same, and price is reasonable at $10 for a pack that has 2 male threaded air tool side fittings and one air hose side quick coupler. 6622.jpeg

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #8,884  
All this talk about coupons.
I didn't see anyone mention just go to hfqpdb, then save them to a list and print the list to a pdf if you can't get net in the store.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #8,885  
5 Pc SAE Double-End Flare Nut Wrench Set

This $15 set that I picked up on a hunch a couple weeks ago saved the day when I was removing my power steering cylinders on the 3600 Ford the other day. I picked up the metric since we are about 50/50 around the place.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #8,886  
All this talk about coupons.
I didn't see anyone mention just go to hfqpdb, then save them to a list and print the list to a pdf if you can't get net in the store.
Indeed, just put the 20% coupon expiring 12/31/18 on your phone and you are set. When the 25% comes around, record that... otherwise you always at least have a 20% anytime!

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #8,887  

This $15 set that I picked up on a hunch a couple weeks ago saved the day when I was removing my power steering cylinders on the 3600 Ford the other day. I picked up the metric since we are about 50/50 around the place.

Good find. Another great wrench from them is their stubby wrench. I have both metric and SAE and use them more that you would think. They often fit where others won't. $12 for a double set and you can't beat that. Plus you can use a coupon on top.

12 Piece Stubby Combination Wrench Set

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #8,888  

I have the Craftsman equivalent for doing brake line work. They are a must have for anyone working on equipment.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #8,889  
I realize this was about 130 posts ago:
It has to be this one. Looks like same gun with two makers. It's 20 oz, not 2 oz,
2 oz. HVLP Gravity Feed Air Spray Gun with Regulator
2 oz. HVLP Gravity Feed Air Spray Gun with Regulator

Don't buy this $70 one below unless you are painting cars. I have one and it's not much different than the above for farm spraying.
2 oz. Professional HVLP Gravity Feed Air Spray Gun

Here are the paint cups and wire stand. These are a must so get two packs of cups. Don't use the screw-in adaptor. Mine leaked so just screw the paint cup onto gun.
5 Piece Air Spray Gun Disposable Paint Cups
The paint gun stand I like looks like this below but I can't find on the net right now. It's in the store.
View attachment 545511
You also could use some HF paint filters, especially if you store partial cans. I have but don't use very often. You'll need a metric hex wrench to put the stand on and remove for cleaning and a toothbrush. You should also have a water trap on your compressor. Set your gun pressure with the trigger pulled and air flowing on a cleaned gun.

I spray and when done, immediately rinse cup with a little acetone and spray clean. I disassemble what I can, soak the nozzle, etc in acetone and blow clean with compressed air while wearing goggles. Also, acetone is acetylene (get at WalMart) and highly flammable so I keep outside as much as possible. I don't work directly under my overhead lights while cleaning and pouring the stuff. Keep rags outside. Wear thin rubber gloves.

You have to thin Rustoleum more than you think. A splattering finish usually means too thick of paint. I spray Rustoleum primer on hot days and wait maybe a half hour or longer. Then I light spray the color coat, wait a few minutes and slightly heavier coat once or twice. If using good OEM paints, you will be thrilled at the results, especially when compared to farm store paints. Please, forget those and the few percent savings. When you first open the can, punch some small nail holes around the rim of the can so paint can flow back. If you have a partial can, put the lid on and store the can upside down so it doesn't skin over. Just do it; you'll see. Filter stored paint.

Here is a lo-buck Harbor Freight paint gun job with OEM acrylic enamel paint.
View attachment 545512

How's that for "pop"? Here's the thread.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/312434-1950s-dearborn-cultivator-find-rebuild.html
There are a number of threads I have done like this. Search for more if you care.

Anyway, have fun and post pictures. I've done this for decades and the HF HVLP paint gun is among the best there is, especially for the price. It's a fine reward to restore something to a respectable facsimile of it's original state.

EDIT--When painting, I wear those typical "Tee shirt" type bags on my feet that are available everywhere. Just find some beefy ones, put your foot in and tie the tops together. It looks dumb but keeps my boots the rustic brown leather color I prefer rather than Kubota Orange or JD Classic Green.

But it finally looks like it will warm up next week so I'll be able to start on some painting/rust repair jobs and I'm going to be making an HF run soon. In addition to the 20 oz gun you mentioned above what do you think of the detail guns like the https://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/paint/adjustable-detail-spray-gun-92126.html ? My first projects are repainting some small cart pieces and touch up on my trailer sides, so capacity is not needed at first.

And have you applied to write articles for TBN? :)

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #8,890  
I realize this was about 130 posts ago:

But it finally looks like it will warm up next week so I'll be able to start on some painting/rust repair jobs and I'm going to be making an HF run soon. In addition to the 20 oz gun you mentioned above what do you think of the detail guns like the Adjustable Detail Spray Gun ? My first projects are repainting some small cart pieces and touch up on my trailer sides, so capacity is not needed at first.

And have you applied to write articles for TBN? :)

Skip the detail gun. It looks nice in the photo but you'll never use it. The regular $25 -ish gun is what you will use and a better way is to dissemble the parts correctly, mask and tape and use the regular gun. Just put less paint in it. Use the bigger gun and you'll see what I mean.

No application yet. We would certainly bog down over negotiations for my star on the TBN Walk of Fame in front of the TBN Building in San Diego. :)

Note on acetone or any thinner you may use. If you clean your gun and spray clear acetone or many other thinners and are near any vehicle or tractor with a nice paint job, you will damage the paint since acetone, etc will eat into the finish. Go ahead, ask how I know. :)

I always paint outside on a low wind day. Never inside. Get ready the night before, cover to keep the dew off and next day is primer and paint in one day. Less muss and fuss.