Hardwood floor refinishing

/ Hardwood floor refinishing #1  

RobA

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L5030 HST
We have oak floors on most of the 1st floor of our house. There are several spots in the kitchen where the finish is wearing off. Can a refinisher do spot refinishing? I really don't want to have the entire 1st floor refinished? This isn't the prefinished type of flooring.

/ Hardwood floor refinishing #2  
We have oak floors on most of the 1st floor of our house. There are several spots in the kitchen where the finish is wearing off. Can a refinisher do spot refinishing? I really don't want to have the entire 1st floor refinished? This isn't the prefinished type of flooring.
Have the entire floor refinished!
A patch job will look exactly like a patch job!

/ Hardwood floor refinishing #3  
Is the floor stained? if not, sand the surface to hit the dirt. you might need to use a real light yell stain to get the aged color. Then match the gloss level.

You will likely need to refinish in the future but this can delay the need.

/ Hardwood floor refinishing #4  
A REAL knowledgable wood floor expert CAN blend a refinished spot that you would never see.

The problem is FINDING that expert. It may cost 60-70% of doing the whole floor if they do it right!

I have seen multiple spots on a floor repaired that would never be seen...
I have also seen some really, really bad attempts at repairs.

My only suggestion is to get references from previous repair / refinishing customers and pictures of the jobs if possible.

Good luck!

/ Hardwood floor refinishing #5  
I've successfully spot refinished my maple floors with the original water based satin finish. If you have several areas that need finishing, or don't have the original poly, it's probably time to bite the bullet and sand and poly the entire floor. Check references if you're going to hire it out and get at least 2 coats of finish down. I prefer minwax oil modified satin poly, 3 coats, applied with a roller or 4" brush. I'm not a fan of the quick mop job.

/ Hardwood floor refinishing #6  
Ouch, the responses are as I was afraid. We are in a similar situation and I will delay it as long as possible. It would be almost like moving out of the house. I assume most people in this situation rent a storage unit, move their furniture out, and go on vacation when this is done.

/ Hardwood floor refinishing #7  
Ouch, the responses are as I was afraid. We are in a similar situation and I will delay it as long as possible. It would be almost like moving out of the house. I assume most people in this situation rent a storage unit, move their furniture out, and go on vacation when this is done.
If your single, you can live with it.

I hired a kid to sand my oak floors, I almost pulled them up they were so bad but he fixed them!

Funny part was....he had to hook hismacj
gone into my fuse box to get 220 volts, no problem.

I started getting tiny shocks from my dryer and it wouldn't really dry the cloths so, like abonehead, i ought another. dryer.

Same problem. Traced it back to where he didn't tighten up a white return wire.

And i got a new dryer!

/ Hardwood floor refinishing #8  
It's not easy, and it can easily look worse if you get it wrong, but why not give it a try? If you get it wrong, you can either sand it out and try again, or redo the entire floor. If you are thinking of doing the entire floor anyway, you might as well try doing just that one area first.

/ Hardwood floor refinishing #9  
Furniture people taught me to strip vs sand when doing the whole job. I've done both. One is smelly, one is dusty.

/ Hardwood floor refinishing #10  
Can you use a rug to cover the area till ready to refinish? I would think if you know the finish used you should be able to spot refinish. Not sure in floor finishes but know in wood finishing there are clear coats that will not work with other certain types and will create a mess.