has anyone ever heard such nonsense?

/ has anyone ever heard such nonsense? #42  
This thread had me look through the Operator's Manuals of both my John Deere and Kubota. The John Deere has a K46 transmission and is well worn with fewer than 500 hours (11% sloping lawn, goes like crazy downhill, will barely crawl uphill). Its replacement is a Kubota GR2120 that only says hydrostatic, doesn't give the maker or model. It has no problem maintaining speed uphill and although 1 horsepower less than the Kubota, will allow my wife to mow the lawn in 1/3 time of the JD it replaces. I checked through the books. The JD gives no weight limits but the Kubota does give front and rear axle weight limitations. Neither manual even mentions the word tow. You would think they would have a tow limitation but on the other hand, climbing the 11% slope is equivalent to towing a significant implement. Is the way to judge the lawn tractor ability price? Obviously JD would not have the expensive models at their own dealerships if the Big Box cheapies did the job but at Lowes you will be lucky to find someone who knows where to get a new machine from stock let alone tell you anything about capability other than the more expensive one must be better.

/ has anyone ever heard such nonsense? #43  
Just looked in my Husky's manual to see that it has the TuffTorq K46CR: mower is more of a commercial grade one (didn't buy from a big box store) in that it's got a Kawasaki engine and a welded deck (I was wanting this plus a locking diff). This is a locking diff transmission and appears to be fairly different than the standard K46. I am unable to find any mention of problems/failures with this model of transmission: might be because they're a lot more limited production?

/ has anyone ever heard such nonsense? #44  
Just info...... I have 5 Garden Tractors and the Husky 2354 has a 1/2 inch drive belt. The others have a 5/8. That's why I've never used the Husky to pull the lawn roller.

/ has anyone ever heard such nonsense? #45  
All towing rating are done for legal reasons on everything that is built. All manufacturers know their equipment can tow way, way more than they rate them at. If anything happens they know chances are you towed outside the specs, which removes their liability, for engine, parts, accidents etc.

/ has anyone ever heard such nonsense? #46  
I think Lawn Mower Dealers are starting to respond to the "Modern Day" consumer. They are informing them that what they are buying was not manufactured to pull a trailer, built to be pulled by a motor vehicle loaded with material or other that would give a Ford F-350 Power Stroke problems. Of course when someone buys something it is theirs, to use as they want to. Notice I spelled use - use not abuse. Those that abuse lawn tractors are finding Dealers and Manufactures are not there when they start needing repairs.

/ has anyone ever heard such nonsense? #47  
Just looked in my Husky's manual to see that it has the TuffTorq K46CR: mower is more of a commercial grade one (didn't buy from a big box store) in that it's got a Kawasaki engine and a welded deck (I was wanting this plus a locking diff). This is a locking diff transmission and appears to be fairly different than the standard K46. I am unable to find any mention of problems/failures with this model of transmission: might be because they're a lot more limited production?

I also have a Husqvarna commercial grade with the Kawasaki engine and welded deck - but it came with the HydroGear transmission (no locking differential). At the time I bought it I would not have even considered it if it had come with the TorqTuff transmission due to the unfavorable information showing up on this board. (On the other hand, I also have another 15 year old Husqvarna with the K46 transmission, and never had a speck of trouble out of it. Admittedly, my distdain for TorqTuff is personally unfounded, and definitely unfair.

That "CR" designation is most interesting... I have never heard of, nor could I find reference on the internet, to the "K46CR" description. Perhaps that suffix indicates Commercial - Revised? I'm hoping that some of our much more knowledgeable TuffTorq experts will chime in.

/ has anyone ever heard such nonsense? #48  
I think Lawn Mower Dealers are starting to respond to the "Modern Day" consumer. They are informing them that what they are buying was not manufactured to pull a trailer, built to be pulled by a motor vehicle loaded with material or other that would give a Ford F-350 Power Stroke problems. Of course when someone buys something it is theirs, to use as they want to. Notice I spelled use - use not abuse. Those that abuse lawn tractors are finding Dealers and Manufactures are not there when they start needing repairs.

The majority of lawn tractors are sold by box stores, The box stores want to sell the cheapest mower that can get at a price point. The consumer is also wanted the cheapest mower for their money, hence the price point mower from box store. The price point mowers are not overbuild, and are sometimes on the edge of underbuild. So consumer takes his mower home and tries using it just like his old 10-15 year old mower, and immediately, or in the near future has major problems. And that is the manufacturers problem according to consumer.

The average riding mower gets used 38 hours per year, and is replaced every 4.5 years. So mower manufacturers have designed their mowers to be replaced every 5 years on average. I sit through mower companies schools every year, and they will say we have come out with this new mower with this transmission. but be aware this transmission is for light duty use, and if the customer pulls his lawn cart with too much in it he will destroy this transmission and we will not pay for warranty repairs.

/ has anyone ever heard such nonsense? #49  
fwiw I still use my old manual shift Wheel Horses for everything, till/plow/grade/mowing so yes' everything. First WH I bought was a 1976 10hp, my other main WH tractor is a bit bigger is a 1988 14hp both have cast iron Kohlers. I'll take a used garden tractor over a new mower any day because it will outlast them by decades. They weren't built as throwaways then, you repair them and move on like farm tractors. Cast iron, not aluminum engines/trans.

More and more mower corps continue to follow "Planned Obsolescence" today forcing people into buying new mowers much sooner. Those HD or GT decals are a big scam so buyer beware.
If my old WH tractor engine bit the dust today I'd just rebuild/repair it and continue on. In 45yrs running these two units mowing 2.5 hilly acres, tilling gardens, towing etc.. my only non maintenance repairs have been a new carb on my 1988 and a carb kit on my 1976 model. Ethanol related issues got me. Neither burn/leak oil between changes.

Old post I know but still applies today. I can only suggest that anyone who has big hills or tows like myself to locate an old well cared for true garden tractor with manual shift & side shaft iron engine like a Wheel Horse, Cub, Deere etc. to do it with because the majority of todays hydro models will simply wear out causing you to spend, spend and spend again. They just don't make'm like they used too and they never will again but you can find them. Most true garden tractors for sale are due to death or owners buying a larger Kubota tractor so timing is everything but they exist, just buy the Kohler too.
I've watched a couple decades now as neighbors, friends and family repeat buying mowers time and time again as my old WH tractors continue to soldier on without fail.
Something these mower corps put in their shiny new paint that keeps drawing people back to buying their pretty junk every few hundred hours, idk but its certainly shameful.
Smaller flat areas 1/2 acre less, no towing most any of todays mowers should be fine. Hills/towing forget all about you get what you pay for, get the sticker number off the new mowers trans and do your homework "Before" you buy it not after.

Everyone's different and if towing you subtract trans/engine life? idk how much life, sorry?
Its estimated average mower with K46 trans life is 300hrs...TRUE!
Your wkly Mowing hours (2 hours)
x Your #Weeks you mow (4/5 times month)
x Your #Months per season (5 Months)
Average 50hrs Year
Multiply 50hrs times 6 yrs = 300 hrs...
Some weeks we mow twice, most only once so add a few, just an average anyway nothing in stone.

Article back in 2011 buying used mower...NOT FOR MANUAL GARDEN TRACTORS!
Hydro Lawn Mowers.

Take care, sorry long here.

/ has anyone ever heard such nonsense? #50  
My D125 has 5 years and didn't have problem in the first 4 years. True, my mowing is about just an hour long and I mow once every two weeks from May to September so just 10 hours a year, so still have many years to go. My land has some slopes but I take them sideway and shifting my weight toward the top of the slope so I don't put stress on the tranny, or much less than trying to climb it (the wheels would spin anyway).