has anyone ever heard such nonsense?

/ has anyone ever heard such nonsense? #51  
All kinds of weird stuff to SAVE MONEY that simply never existed before. Like "powdered Gears" and such. All kinds of el-cheapo alloys (aka, melted down bicycles and bbqs) . Stuff unheard of in the 70s.

/ has anyone ever heard such nonsense? #52  
I was trying to find the maximum operator weight so I wouldn't have to loan my new Maverick to the B.I.L. He's 500+ pounds. Even looked for the GVRW. Nothing. I sent Bad Boy an email requesting the info and all they said in return was; "they don't publish that information". :cry:

/ has anyone ever heard such nonsense? #53  
I miss the pivoting front axles that decent $3k ZTRs came with in '05-'06 (CC RZT50, etc) and $5k ZTRs didn't in less than a decade. Ferris and Country Clipper still offer them, but not for $5k on a good day.

I never asked my ZTRs to pull anything. Golf cart pulls a 55lb driveway drag, 80lb cap spreader, 10 cu ft dump cart. Kioti Mechron pulls sand-filled lawn roller (that 2-range 26hp CUT sucks at) and 6' x 10' drive-on trailer. CUT drawbars have hitch balls installed or available. I'm lucky my mowers never had to tow. btw, my 61" Husky ZTR has HG 3100s vs 3400s as earlier models did, but it seems bullet-proof after 6 yrs. (Welded deck, B&S power, 2ac in ~1:45)

btw, if you're 5' 10" or taller, I suggest using 2x lumber or similar to raise the seat of a lawn tractor or ZTR. Wheel or handle reach should still be ok (knees still wide apart? lol) your butt and your legs may thank you and wifey won't notice if she does the chore.

Last edited:
   / has anyone ever heard such nonsense? #55  
My neighbor has a Husky 18 HP with the Tuff Torq drive, and at 550 hours his transmission went so he replaced it - he only tows a small trailer with 50-100 lbs of branches etc. The dealer said these transmissions go between 400-500 hours.

My experience was similar on towing my Trac Vac - weighs 500 lbs loaded and we have some grades 8% maybe, so when I contacted Ferris on my commercial grade IS2000 (hydro gear pumps, and parker wheel motors) they stated "you shouldn't tow more than a few hundred pounds as the hydro's will overheat".

Temps would run 190-200* so I installed a $60 transmission cooler @ 70 hours, and now temps run 150-160* max and at 10 years and 330 hours no issues towing. Ferris put transmission coolers on all their bigger commercial machines in 2012-14 so so I did the same.

Attachments

• Ferris Cooler 1.JPG
    Ferris Cooler 1.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 105
   / has anyone ever heard such nonsense? #56  
You should be happy with your dealer. He is being honest. He has not much faith in what the tractor can do, so should you and move on to a different brand.

/ has anyone ever heard such nonsense? #57  
This is a 4 year old thread.

/ has anyone ever heard such nonsense? #59  
OK - I found the "word" in my JD 570 Owners Manual - - Towing Loads.

"Total towed weight must not exceed combined weight of pulling machine, ballast and operator." "When towing more than 350# don't go faster than half speed - run tractor at full throttle when pulling loads"
"Avoid slopes greater than 10% while towing to avoid damage to the towing machine".

So for me that means - - machine weight with mmm attached - 650#; plus operator - 225#; - ballast - 0.

The max would be - 875#.

I would suggest a close review of your Owners Manual. My Index page had no listing for "Towing Loads". It is a short paragraph on the very last page of the Operating section.

Last edited: