Has anyone had any experience with "swinging lawn mower blades"?

/ Has anyone had any experience with "swinging lawn mower blades"? #1  

Navvet

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 4025 Bobcat S185 John Deere X495 John Deere 6x4 Gator
Ran across the Meg-Mo Rotary Mulching Blades as well as the Cutlass blades for a lawn mower. Looks like a bush hog type blade for a lawn mower.

Just wondering if they would be worthwhile on a JD Diesel with a 62" deck.

Last edited:
   / Has anyone had any experience with "swinging lawn mower blades"? #2  
I just adapted some flat disk mower blades to a walk behind string trimmer. They worked great. I don't see why they wouldn't work good for any mower. I plan to expand on using them in the future.

/ Has anyone had any experience with "swinging lawn mower blades"? #3  
Great looking project, inspires me to make one up for my Ariens 6hp 22". I have an alum round to make a hub from and plenty of 10" saw blades that are too far gone to sharpen again.

My .155" lines are looped/doubled into the head, but encountering woody stems <3/8" tends to snag and pull 'em out. Looks like two swinging blades might be enough to do the job. btw, thanks for the great video and demo. (y)

/ Has anyone had any experience with "swinging lawn mower blades"? #4  
Almost could use a stump jumper type hub to assist in keeping the blades out of the dirt.

/ Has anyone had any experience with "swinging lawn mower blades"? #6  
I just adapted some flat disk mower blades to a walk behind string trimmer. They worked great. I don't see why they wouldn't work good for any mower. I plan to expand on using them in the future.

Hard to tell in the vid, but how did your RPM do? I have an old DR version (wire wheels one) that slows way down if I use .155 longer than 10" per side.

/ Has anyone had any experience with "swinging lawn mower blades"? #7  
Ran across the Meg-Mo Rotary Mulching Blades as well as the Cutlass blades for a lawn mower. Looks like a bush hog type blade for a lawn mower.

Just wondering if they would be worthwhile on a JD Diesel with a 62" deck.
I have been using Meg-Mo blades on my 60 inch finish mower. I prefer them over standard mower blades.

/ Has anyone had any experience with "swinging lawn mower blades"? #8  
Hard to tell in the vid, but how did your RPM do? I have an old DR version (wire wheels one) that slows way down if I use .155 longer than 10" per side.
Very little variation. I haven't ever checked but the 6 hp briggs on my Craftsman sounds like it runs slower than the typical 3600 rpms. This blade setup mows right at the dirt level.

I don't think mine ever bogged with full length strings.

/ Has anyone had any experience with "swinging lawn mower blades"?
I have been using Meg-Mo blades on my 60 inch finish mower. I prefer them over standard mower blades.
If you don't mind, How are they for durability ? I mow several acres with my 62" deck and I tend to be a bit rough on blades.

Thanks

/ Has anyone had any experience with "swinging lawn mower blades"? #10  
I would like to try Meg-Mo blades, but the $310 cost for my 60" deck is too steep. They claim they last 8X longer than normal blades. I get a set of Oregon Gator blades for $40 online, X 8 is $320. No advantage cost wise.