Has haggling died?

/ Has haggling died? #71  
My wife didn’t like haggling, she’s of the same opinion, if she likes the price she pays for it. I took her into a car dealership, took her
into the manager of sales, ask the manager in front of her, does anyone pay the full sticker price? He said only if they’re stupid. 42 years ago we almost didn’t get married, when I haggle 25% off our wedding bands. Laugh out loud

/ Has haggling died? #72  
My wife and I were shopping for our first house. She found a spec house partially complete by a local builder. She quickly arranged for a walk through with the builder. After a thorough tour of the place he explained he had that one sold once he finished it but would be happy to build another one for us. My wife asked for the price of that first one 'as-is' so we could finish the build. He thought for a couple minutes and threw out a price thinking he'd just push us to the next build. My wife pulls out our check book and asks who to make the check out to. I don't know who was more shocked, the builder or me. We all took a step back and slowed the process, but we did buy that house and finished it ourselves.

/ Has haggling died? #73  
As a tractor dealer many many moons ago, I had customers that insisted I throw in a rototiller or a mower in the deal with the tractor
Some folks even asked that if I had ever done anything radical such as selling them a tractor at cost!
Needless to say I showed them the door.
I could go on with the story's, but Im laughing to hard...

/ Has haggling died? #74  
Haggling was more of a thing when it was hard to know what something was actually worth, but today with the internet and sites like Truecar, Machinery Pete, etc, you should know the value of most things, so the concept of dickering over price becomes a giant waste of everyone’s time. This is why so many places have gone to “the price you see is the price you pay”. I know some people like playing the game and that’s fine, but me? Not interested. Your first price better be your best price or I’ll just buy elsewhere.

/ Has haggling died? #75  
The opening gambit "What's your best price?" immediately marks that person as a beginner haggler to me, and puts them in a weaker position in my mind. My response is always "Make me an offer". (not that it's a regular occurrence)

A motoring guru over here recommends that when buying a car (for example) from a dealer, make your opening offer 15% below asking, and if the salesman goes into full BS mode, be well prepared to leave your number and walk away. If the vehicle on their lot is costing them money, they'll get back to you!

/ Has haggling died? #76  
Had last Friday off from work, and stopped at a garage sale. They had a Speedway Series 12 speed drill press for $40. I didn't bother trying to beat them up and just paid the $40. I'm sure I could have haggled down $5, but I didnt see doing it. The price has less then I was willing to pay.

/ Has haggling died? #77  
I hope haggling will never go out of style. It's the most enjoyable part of buying and selling. But then I come from a rural background where haggling is common.

And it doesn't always go like you expect. A couple of years ago I went to look at a used truck. I took one look at the guy, his place and his truck .... & immediately offered him cash at full price. If he had balked, I would have gone higher. The whole process took about one minute.
It's been flawless; a keeper.
rScotty

/ Has haggling died? #78  
I hope haggling will never go out of style. It's the most enjoyable part of buying and selling.
Different strokes for different folks. I hate haggling. If I deem something is too expensive, I will walk away. I have too much stuff anyhow. There are times I will ask "Is that the best price you can offer?" I don't even like doing that, but it is close as I will come to haggling.

/ Has haggling died? #79  
Different strokes for different folks. I hate haggling. If I deem something is too expensive, I will walk away. I have too much stuff anyhow. There are times I will ask "Is that the best price you can offer?" I don't even like doing that, but it is close as I will come to haggling.
That is my thinking today. Often motivated sellers that are 1-3 hours away will drop their price without me asking once we talk by phone. Sellers do not like to be hussled by flippers.

/ Has haggling died? #80  
The opening gambit "What's your best price?" immediately marks that person as a beginner haggler to me, and puts them in a weaker position in my mind. My response is always "Make me an offer". (not that it's a regular occurrence)
I will usually reply with either "Make me an offer, I dont like to bid against myself" or (especially if they ask "What the lowest you will take for it?") "What is the most you will pay for it?".

Aaron Z