Hats and hearing protection

/ Hats and hearing protection #11  
I never played baseball, so never owned a baseball hat in my life!

I am not too coordinated (hey, maybe that's why I never played baseball) and I struggle trying to figure out how to wear my behind the head Peltors. Yes, that picture above is them.

Saw an interesting Ad today in a flyer. They are earplugs that have tiny hinged latches that you can open the plug to hear (moderatley) without having to remove them. I always have a hard time getting those plugs properly inserted, to that might be a really good idea, or just a gimmick? They are supposedly worn by military personel.

/ Hats and hearing protection
bajabum I spent a lot of time today searching for hearing protection, and the Peltor brand keep popping up. Are you satisfied with these other than getting used to the wire?
I did read one review where a customer wrote that the user also needed to wear an over the head strap with these that just didn't seem correct.

/ Hats and hearing protection #13  
I don't use hearing protection- just a wide brim straw hat in the summer. Started the hat after the eye doc said I had a growth in my eye from too much sun. Not a problem since, 10+ years now.

/ Hats and hearing protection #14  
You could always go for the 'Legionnaire Look'.

A simple handkerchief added to the back of your ball-cap would serve the same purpose of a wide brimmed hat, is an inexpensive solution AND is quite the dapper fashion statement.

/ Hats and hearing protection #15  
Smalltown,
Yes, there is a small cloth strap that comes with the Peltors, although you don't have to use them.
I find that the muffs will slide down as I get sweaty, if i don't use the straps .
You won't notice the straps, I promise!
Other than that, I like them, I have several pair I use for shooting and running tractors etc.
I usually use a pair of heavy duty ear plugs underneath when shooting, I want to keep what little hearing I have left!

I did mention I also have a pair of pilot style noise canceling muffs, those are the very best, but can be $$$$$ !
I found mine in a thrift shop for $5 :thumbsup:
Any ear protection is better than nothing, take care of your ears, because hearing aids really suck...
And are darn expensive!
$30 bucks for muffs, or $1400 each for aids...:eek:

/ Hats and hearing protection
I'm going to order a pair of those Peltors.

/ Hats and hearing protection #17  
I almost forgot about that strap. Maybe that is what just adds to my confusion when putting them on.

They say that hearing loss only occurs later. Not sure how that works, but it basically means that every time you get exposed to noise, you think "that wasn't so bad" like it's easy to do some quick chainsaw work without protection, but it will ALL come back to haunt you later!

There was a show on hearing aids. Biggest consumer ripoff going. They say one of those $1400.00 aids is really worth $100.00 or something like that.

/ Hats and hearing protection #18  
Noise breaker custom moulded ear plugs, always fit, never get sore ears from the muffs pushing in on my glasses, no ear canal problems from the foam inserts, do not interfere with hats.
Cam

/ Hats and hearing protection #19  
Noise breaker custom moulded ear plugs, always fit, never get sore ears from the muffs pushing in on my glasses, no ear canal problems from the foam inserts, do not interfere with hats.
Cam

Slight side not about plugs.

The kind you describe are great for tractor/loud engine protection, but aren't a complete solution for anybody who shoots, or is exposed to loud sounds created by something that also causes increased air pressure. Pressure from the gun going off is transmitted to the small bones of the inner ear through the soft tissue just below, and behind your ear....kind of a soft spot. That can ultimately cause as much hearing loss as sound/pressure that hits your eardrum. That's why I wear both molded plugs, and electronic noise-canceling muffs....you can increase the muff volume to the point you can hear fine, even with the plugs in.

/ Hats and hearing protection #20  
There was a show on hearing aids. Biggest consumer ripoff going. They say one of those $1400.00 aids is really worth $100.00 or something like that.

I recently bought a Digital hearing aid from Costco, It's a very complicated gizmo, has lots of bells and whistles.
It works pretty good (none are as good as your own ears), takes some getting used to, and yes, I paid $1400 for it at costco !
$100?

I call BS..
So far, So good.