Hauling mini excavator in a dump trailer?

/ Hauling mini excavator in a dump trailer? #1  

bitternut

Silver Member
Tractor
2000 John Deere 5210 mfwd, John Deere 350C Crawler
I am thinking of getting a JCB 8029 cts mini excavator and hauling it in my 7x12, 12,000 lbs dumptrailer. The excavator weight should not be a problem since it is under 7000 lbs. I am wondering whether the trailer is long enough to get the proper balance for tongue weight and if the machine should be backed on or driven foward. How do some of you with mini excavators do it?

/ Hauling mini excavator in a dump trailer? #2  
Depending on the layout of the machine, the bucket size/type etc... That all changes things. I pull my 7600lbs machine on a 18' flat bed and it works perfect and allows me to get the perfect balance and keep everything within the length of the trailer. With a 12' depending on the arm layout it may overhang on the rear (I have to keep my arm folded so it keeps my height down on our heavily wooded roads.). Also my buckets have some variance in weight - from about 300lbs to 650lbs and depending on the position of the bucket it can alter the tongue weight slightly.
I have a 12' dump and it is fine to run the machine down the road to the neighbors farm but due to the height and center of gravity with the machine in the trailer I prefer to not use it and take the flat bed. (Pulled the machine 400 miles before without any issues on the flat bed).
Hope that helps a little....

/ Hauling mini excavator in a dump trailer? #3  
Watching this thread. Looking for solution for hauling my Bobcat E42...about 9000+ lbs. Exceeds the capacity of my current flatbed equipment trailer. Fortunately been keeping it busy on my hunting property and haven’t had to move it. My dealer offers free pick up and delivery for service and warranty...another plus

/ Hauling mini excavator in a dump trailer? #4  
Mine isn't the voice of experience, since I own neither a mini-ex nor a heavy dump trailer. Having said that, I think what you are proposing would work OK for short, local hauls. Load capacity of the trailer isn't at issue, but I'd be concerned about CG and overhead clearance, as well as overhang (of the boom, when you lower it to reduce clearance height). Dump trailers tend to be quite high off the ground already and your mini-ex might take the CG significantly higher than the trailer would be with a full load of gravel.
Maybe somebody else with ACTUAL experience will chime in and either verify my speculation or tell me I'm just imagining hazards.

/ Hauling mini excavator in a dump trailer? #5  
Yea, dump trailers work in a pinch, but have you ever tried to chain one down in a dump trailer...such a pain.

Have I done it? Yes. Do I like to do it? No.

/ Hauling mini excavator in a dump trailer? #6  
Along the same line, the dump trailers are designed for a distributed load and a tracked vehicle (mini-ex) seems to qualify as that. However, I've seen tractors hauled in dump trailers and that (seems to me) would be a point load at 4 places where the wheels are. Is there an issue with hauling non-distributed loads in dump trailers? Will their frames support the load properly?

/ Hauling mini excavator in a dump trailer? #7  
They should. On most dumps, there is channel or box steel cross members roughly every 16" under the bed floor. Lots of folks haul skid steers in dumps, and some pretty hefty ones at that, and have no problem with deck floor. Dropping in some good size rocks or hefty sized wood from height with a loader would seem to have a greater point impact than a wheeled piece of equipment.

Have to agree, chaining down can be an adventure depending on the dump trailer. But a lot of landscape folks do it every day.

/ Hauling mini excavator in a dump trailer? #8  
I could probably ask this question on a Ford truck forum I frequent, but I'm here now and there are many knowledgeable guys here and it's semi related to the original topic.
I've got a Weigh Safe hitch with built in scale. When hauling my 6500 lb. skid steer I have all kinds of room on a 14k tilt bed trailer so can move the weight wherever it needs to be. What's a good tongue weight to have with a 2017 F250 gasser? Here's the weight rating sticker:

IMG_0467.JPG

/ Hauling mini excavator in a dump trailer? #9  
From Weigh-safe - "Most experts agree – that an acceptable tongue weight for any trailer is somewhere between 9 to 15 percent of the gross trailer weight (GTW)." If you are towing a 9500 lbs trailer/skid steer combo, the tongue weight should be approximately 1000 lbs. I personally would be a shade heavier as on my Dodge it seems to handle the weight fine and smooth out the ride a bit. I am normally around 1200 on that weight trailer combo.

/ Hauling mini excavator in a dump trailer? #10  
From Weigh-safe - "Most experts agree – that an acceptable tongue weight for any trailer is somewhere between 9 to 15 percent of the gross trailer weight (GTW)." If you are towing a 9500 lbs trailer/skid steer combo, the tongue weight should be approximately 1000 lbs. I personally would be a shade heavier as on my Dodge it seems to handle the weight fine and smooth out the ride a bit. I am normally around 1200 on that weight trailer combo.

Thank you.