Hauling tractor on U-haul car carrier trailer

jaxs

Veteran Member
Tractor
841 ford,MF65,Cub Lowboy,,Ford 600
Give an accident chaser attorney an inch, and he will find a way to bring a liability case!

I 100% agree but I'll not alow lawyers to keep me up a tree as opertunity and life passes me by. That's why I carry liability ins.

lostcause

Platinum Member
Give an accident chaser attorney an inch, and he will find a way to bring a liability case!

i can't follow the logic of how you would be the one most likely to be targeted if you were insured... if you are in an accident there's a chance to get sued regardless of who's trailer it is. that's why we carry liability insurance in the first place. they aren't looking for an inch, they are looking for money, and the insurer, not the insured, is usually the one who has the most. probably far in excess of 50% of the people on the highway would be like getting blood from a turnip if you sued them directly.

fried1765

Tractor
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, 8N Ford, Gravely 12 HP "Professional", 48" SCAG Liberty
i can't follow the logic of how you would be the one most likely to be targeted if you were insured... if you are in an accident there's a chance to get sued regardless of who's trailer it is. that's why we carry liability insurance in the first place. they aren't looking for an inch, they are looking for money, and the insurer, not the insured, is usually the one who has the most. probably far in excess of 50% of the people on the highway would be like getting blood from a turnip if you sued them directly.

Street logic, often does follow in potential legal cases!

Last edited:

Chrisb009

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2645 Cab
I would ask the question...does the amount of money saved by renting a u-haul trailer cover the unexpected cost of a multi-million dollar lawsuit due to negligence (easy to prove via a sympathetic jury if the trailer was designed solely for auto transport)? That was my concern (to include the safety of those around me) and decided to not go the u-haul route. Some may say I am overly cautious but I would like to think the same logic is applied by others for the safety of everyone on the road.

-Chris

JethroB

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L5460 HST

A plaintiff or jury my not be satisfied with your coverage limit. You and your assets are next. Like you said, follow the money.

Chrisb009

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2645 Cab
A plaintiff or jury my not be satisfied with your coverage limit. You and your assets are next. Like you said, follow the money.

So true...the judgement doesn’t necessarily stop at the insured policy limits...

crazyal

Tractor
Kubota, Case, Deere
Just because U-Haul doesn't list your tractor as something they want on their trailer doesn't mean that you are suddenly on the hook for millions of dollars. If the trailer is rated to carry the weight of the tractor, and is safe (good tires, brakes work, lights work), and your vehicle is rated to tow the weight the only thing you could be liable for is the damages to their trailer. But, even if it was a trailer you own, if you overload it, don't maintain the brakes, or are still using the tires that came on it when new in 1985 and the trailer fails you are most likely going to be dragged into court.

ultrarunner

Super Star Member
SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
Tractor
Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 and RTV900 with restored 1948 Deere M, 1949 Farmall Cub, 1953 Ford Jubliee and 1957 Ford 740 Row Crop, Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer 50 assorted vehicles from 1905 to 2006
I've never been able to rent U-Haul trailers.

Each time the computer said no...

lostcause

Platinum Member
Just because U-Haul doesn't list your tractor as something they want on their trailer doesn't mean that you are suddenly on the hook for millions of dollars. If the trailer is rated to carry the weight of the tractor, and is safe (good tires, brakes work, lights work), and your vehicle is rated to tow the weight the only thing you could be liable for is the damages to their trailer. But, even if it was a trailer you own, if you overload it, don't maintain the brakes, or are still using the tires that came on it when new in 1985 and the trailer fails you are most likely going to be dragged into court.

careful man, common sense isn't always tolerated around here... this thread makes me think of the movie "The Croods" - there, everything you did ended with: "and then you die <splat>" here, everything is ending with "and then you get sued" and i just do a <faceaplm> after it...