Hauling Tractor opinion please

/ Hauling Tractor opinion please #1  

Larry_T

Silver Member
Tractor
kubota L3010
The tractor & trailer weight 6500 how much truck do you guys think I will need. It will be ford or chev 4x4. The trailer has brakes on both axles. Thanks Larry

/ Hauling Tractor opinion please #2  
Larry, the tow ratings vary depending on which engine, transmission, rear end ratio, type of hitch, etc. that you get. However, either the Ford or the Chevrolet with either V-8 engine in a half ton pickup should handle that trailer. But as to how well you'll like it; that might be another question. How far and how often are you going to tow it? What kind of terrain; flat and level, hilly? What kind of speed do you want to drive? A little "overkill" on the truck can be more comfortable if you do a lot of towing.

/ Hauling Tractor opinion please #3  
Bird has it right! If I were making the occasional 5-10 mile trip, a 1/2 ton pickup will be fine. If I were hauling the trailer more often, a 3/4 ton truck with a V-8 motor would be my choice.
I hauled a 2500lb trailer behind a compact truck for 4 years, and it did fine, bit I sure enjoy it more using my new full size 1/2 ton truck.
Will

/ Hauling Tractor opinion please #4  
Well as others said it depends on how far. I have a GMC 1500 4X4 it is rated to tow 7000 lb I have towed that. It simply ain't fun. You have to run 3d gear. It will not run the legal limit here in Az 75 mph. It just sucks on the western hills. Cruize control is worthless. If you live in Fl it might be alright. The Gmc/ Chev 1500 trucks all use the light duty hydro matic transmission. It will not handle this load and will fail. Buy a 3/4 ton in whatever make you chose.

/ Hauling Tractor opinion please #5  
Not to state the obvious, but these trucks come with optional trailering packages which include special coolers and some modification to the transmission characteristics. On my Silverado, which has this package, there's a special button on the end of the gear stick (auto trans) that you push in when you are trailering. I believe this keeps the truck from shifting as quickly or something like that. Others may know better how this stuff works, I haven't trailered anything with it yet. In any case, if you plan to tow close to the maximums, you should probably get the tow package and if you're going used, look for it.

Cliff

/ Hauling Tractor opinion please
I would like to take my tractor to our cabin once or twice 200 miles round trip some hils. After that not far not very often.Thanks Everyone for your help. Larry

/ Hauling Tractor opinion please #7  
Another item to look at is the rear axle ratio. Generally when using a 1/2 ton for towing the bigger the number the better off you would be, but it hurts gas mileage. As mentioned by someone else GM products include tow/haul mode which changes the shift points so you stay in gear longer. I would look at a heavier duty truck. GM now has a 1500HD (used to be a 2500) that would be better than a std 1/2 ton.

Also remember when max towing capacity is specified it is usually Curb Weight of the truck + a 150lb driver then figures how much weight can be towed. It does not take into account any other weight in the truck (wife, kids, dogs, luggage, etc...).

Better to have to much truck than not enough.

Kurt

/ Hauling Tractor opinion please #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( On my Silverado, which has this package, there's a special button on the end of the gear stick (auto trans) that you push in when you are trailering. I believe this keeps the truck from shifting as quickly or something like that. )</font>
Probably keeps the tranny from going into overdrive. Usually a no no when trailering. John

/ Hauling Tractor opinion please #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( As mentioned by someone else GM products include tow/haul mode which changes the shift points so you stay in gear longer. )</font>
We posted at the same time. Interesting that they do that. I wasn't aware that the shift points change. I'm still using an older Ford F150 which could use a higher gear ratio for towing. John

/ Hauling Tractor opinion please #10  
Larry,

You mention that you don't plan on towing that often but once you have a suitable rig you may find you do more than you expect right now. Also keep in mind that you may want to include additional implements or other supplies to the weight of the trailer.

Any way, another consideration in your tow vehicle selection is tongue weight. The vehicle may have the towing capacity you need but may require an equalizer hitch to maintain the tow vehicle in the proper near level position.

I towed a horse trailer (about 5500#) with a Ford 2WD 1/2 ton which needed an equalizer hitch even though I was well under the tow rating. I probably could have gotten by without the equalizer hitch but towing would not be safe. I now have a Ford 3/4 ton 4WD and can just hook up to the horse trailer (or my 10,000# dump trailer) without fussing with the hitch.

Both vehicles have the trailer tow package. You should get the tow package with what ever vehicle you decide on.

If your towing is infrequent as you said, then I suggest a smaller V8 that will give you better gas mileage for the bulk of your driving and take the big hit when you tow. My F250 with the 5.4L gets about 15mpg average but about 8 to 10mpg towing. My neighbors F350 with the 460 cu in. (7.5L?)
gets 10mpg all the time.

Jeff