Hauling Two 3,000 gallons water storage tanks

/ Hauling Two 3,000 gallons water storage tanks #21  
I have ordered two 3,000 gallon water storage tanks for use at a well we are drilling for a second home on our property. One for domestic use and one for fire dept use as required. They will be ready at the pick up site in late June and that site is 61 miles from me. Each tank is approximately 8' in diameter and just over 8' high and each weighs 402 lbs. They will load the tanks onto a trailer or whatever I bring.

They want $1,300 if they deliver them to my property - that would be on a truck and I have to have equipment here to unload them. I have considered renting a trailer but they seem to be a bit too narrow. Also considered renting a flatbed stake truck (will run about $400 total) but that would also present the unloading issue. I have a tractor and straps but getting up that high (truck bed height plus the height of the tanks) may not work out.

Anyway, I thought about hiring a tow truck - the kind with the tilting bed. The factory would put them on the truck, I would strap them down securely, and then we could carefully slide them off at the site here (I would still have the issue of locating the tanks precisely where I want them but can figure that out somehow). I am contacting tow truck outfits near by. One wanted me to send pics of tanks and specs before giving me a price so I have done that. Others will call back. One said it would be about $600.

Anyway, doable? Suggestions? Issues with relocating to specific site after unloading? Likely I will slide on 2 x 6 boards to the site.

I don't want to show up here on the "Pics of Hauling Something Wrong" thread.
What are the tanks made of? Plastic? Steel? I agree with the above post: lay them on their sides on a flat bed trailer and strap them down. Unloading? Roll them off with helpers and a way to keep them from rolling away. Depending on the final installation site, can you roll them on their side? Yes, I have had "Something that went wrong" tank experience. Rolled a 1500 poly tank down hill through the woods and it cracked pretty good when it finally slammed into a tree.Maybe there's a neighbor or someone in your area who has a pickup truck and flatbed trailer you could hire for less than $600.Good luck! Stay safe!

/ Hauling Two 3,000 gallons water storage tanks #22  
I bought two 3,000 gal poly tanks at Tractor Supply. It took 2 trips to haul them 12 miles to my property. TS driver used a forklift to load them on my 16' farm trailer, laying down. I used ratchet straps to hold it down and used 6" x 6" blocks screwed into the deck of my trailer to keep it from rolling side to side or sliding backwards off the trailer. Once at my property, my brother-in-law and I were able to stand it upright by sliding it off the back of the trailer. We then used the bucket on my tractor and rope (see pic) to move it in place. With care, I was able to put it in place and slide it the last couple of inches on the prepared pad.
I was concerned when the TS driver came out with just a forklift to load it. He actually slid it around the storage area before picking it up. I was expecting damage and told him. He said he had loaded many poly tanks that way and they are tough. Both tanks have been in place for over a year with no problems.
Poly tank6.jpg

/ Hauling Two 3,000 gallons water storage tanks #23  
I have ordered two 3,000 gallon water storage tanks for use at a well we are drilling for a second home on our property. One for domestic use and one for fire dept use as required. They will be ready at the pick up site in late June and that site is 61 miles from me. Each tank is approximately 8' in diameter and just over 8' high and each weighs 402 lbs. They will load the tanks onto a trailer or whatever I bring.

They want $1,300 if they deliver them to my property - that would be on a truck and I have to have equipment here to unload them. I have considered renting a trailer but they seem to be a bit too narrow. Also considered renting a flatbed stake truck (will run about $400 total) but that would also present the unloading issue. I have a tractor and straps but getting up that high (truck bed height plus the height of the tanks) may not work out.

Anyway, I thought about hiring a tow truck - the kind with the tilting bed. The factory would put them on the truck, I would strap them down securely, and then we could carefully slide them off at the site here (I would still have the issue of locating the tanks precisely where I want them but can figure that out somehow). I am contacting tow truck outfits near by. One wanted me to send pics of tanks and specs before giving me a price so I have done that. Others will call back. One said it would be about $600.

Anyway, doable? Suggestions? Issues with relocating to specific site after unloading? Likely I will slide on 2 x 6 boards to the site.

I don't want to show up here on the "Pics of Hauling Something Wrong" thread.
I had four 2,600 gallon tanks delivered for community firefighting support.
I cannot comment on the process of getting the tanks to your site.

As to moving them on site, a small tractor can do it with some redneck "engineering."

Attachments

• 20210514A - front view - 1024.png
    20210514A - front view - 1024.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 110
  • 20210514B - side view - 1024.png
    20210514B - side view - 1024.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 102
   / Hauling Two 3,000 gallons water storage tanks #24  
A new meaning for "hex head."

:)

Bruce