Hauling Two 3,000 gallons water storage tanks

/ Hauling Two 3,000 gallons water storage tanks #11  
$20/mile is a little expensive for a delivery charge, especially if you need to do the unload. Might be ok if they provided the crane truck.

You have plenty of tractor

If you stand them up, the difference between the 6.5' deck and 7' deck translates to under 5" of length on the floor. The 7' between fenders puts 24.75" of the 48" tank radius between the fenders. The 6.5' deck puts 20" of tank radius between the fenders. Put another way, if you slide the tank up between the fenders, the opposite edge of the tank will be at 5' 11.25" on the 7' wide trailer, and 6'4" on the 6.5' wide trailer. Laid on their side they fit easily, but you will need to stand them back up once off the trailer.

Last edited:
   / Hauling Two 3,000 gallons water storage tanks #12  
i would put those on my 16' car hauler easy. one on the front, some wood in the center to get it off the fenders, i have some 4 ft. 4x6 laying around. and 2 straps each. your tractor should not have an issue picking up the empty tanks.

/ Hauling Two 3,000 gallons water storage tanks #13  
They're only 400#. Drive them to their permanent home, back the trailer up, slide them off the back of the trailer with 2-3 people. Or put a strap around the base of the tank and slide it off with your tractor.

Or see of they can load them onto a trailer on their side if they're built to take a side load empty. Then you could roll them off at their permanent home.

/ Hauling Two 3,000 gallons water storage tanks #14  
They make fork extensions for forklifts. I used them on my hottub. They make the forks 8 fit long. Just slip on forks and a chain holds them in place. Rental yards carry them

/ Hauling Two 3,000 gallons water storage tanks
Thanks for all the responses. I thought about laying them on their side on a U Haul rental - and making two trips if necessary - I was just not sure if laying them down would cause any damage.

In the meantime, I posted in the local Neighborhood News group on fb and it seems there are several people up here who may have suitable trailers or car haulers. Waiting for pictures of what they have as I don't want to try to do this with an unsuitable or unreliable trailer. One quote is for $160-$200 - on a car hauler trailer - but don't yet know the size.

I got a quote from Penske - just under $400 including mileage and insurance and other stuff.

Last edited:
   / Hauling Two 3,000 gallons water storage tanks
Thanks to everyone who took the time to help out with this.
Problem now solved. I posted on a neighborhood news fb group and made a connection with a guy who is actually a nearby neighbor and who has a large equipment trailer and who has hauled 30 or so large water storage tanks before for the fire department. We met before but I did not recall that. Anyway, he said he would do it for the cost of the fuel, but of course, I will pay him the going rate or something that is more than fair.

/ Hauling Two 3,000 gallons water storage tanks #17  
Thanks to everyone who took the time to help out with this.
Problem now solved. I posted on a neighborhood news fb group and made a connection with a guy who is actually a nearby neighbor and who has a large equipment trailer and who has hauled 30 or so large water storage tanks before for the fire department. We met before but I did not recall that. Anyway, he said he would do it for the cost of the fuel, but of course, I will pay him the going rate or something that is more than fair.
Excellent! (y)

/ Hauling Two 3,000 gallons water storage tanks #18  
I've moved a couple of those before, it's not bad... had one of the ~12' tall tanks that we just put on it's side on the trailer and just two 2" straps over it, it was fine... seen them just strapped to the bed of a pickup with the tailgate down too (might have done that with the short one, that was years ago...). They are made of very flexible plastic, when new I'm sure they are very durable...

/ Hauling Two 3,000 gallons water storage tanks #19  
This is delivery of my 4k tanks 8x12
CIMG0499.JPG

CIMG0501.JPG

I set them with my Kioti Ck30

CIMG1003.JPG

CIMG1048.JPG

/ Hauling Two 3,000 gallons water storage tanks #20  
Mossyroad has the most logical idea to unload the tanks in post 13.