Have you done a favor for a neighbor that has gone bad?

/ Have you done a favor for a neighbor that has gone bad? #1  

nickel plate

Veteran Member
Tractor
2002 New Holland TC40S
I have an older 48" Bush Hog Squealer rotary mower. My neighbor and I have equal one and one half acre parcels. As the mower was fairly new (but used) to me, I offered to mow his pasture with my NH TC-40. Fun for me/tractor seat time UNTIL I HIT THE CROWBAR THAT ONE OF HIS KIDS HAD LEFT/THROWN (not during my mow job) WHATEVER INTO MY HIGH WEED PATH OF MOWING!!!@@ The BH was only slightly damaged, not enough to scrap the attachment. BTW: The crow bar was approximately 1" in diameter and 18" in length!

/ Have you done a favor for a neighbor that has gone bad? #2  
remember ** no good deed goes unpunished** :rolleyes:

/ Have you done a favor for a neighbor that has gone bad? #3  
for the future, allways ask if there is anything where your going to mow at and if the person says no, replly ok, not my my fault if anything gets ground up, so it covers you if anything happens. thats what i allways do.:cool:

/ Have you done a favor for a neighbor that has gone bad? #4  
Only gone bad because YOU hurt YOUR equipment... doesn't sound like he is mad at you destroying his crowbar right?

Shoot, I hit so much stuff here on my own property from previous owners... you would not believe it. I am glad that my brand new tiller came with half dozen new tines as spares. Already found a burried piece of rail (yes train rail) about 4' long... lost two tines to that one.

I think that Sanford and Son lived here...

Thank goodness there was only minor damage and no one was hurt. I took out both bearings and both blades on my lawn tractor this spring when I "found" that lost horseshoe (game kind).

Keep safe and watch out for what you can and chalk the rest up to bound to happen.

/ Have you done a favor for a neighbor that has gone bad? #5  
I normally -NEVER- loan out anything tractor related.. even implements.. however I did giv in and loaned a neighbor my flexible chain pasture drag.. i figured. what the heck.. how can he hurt it. he used it.. and when he brought it back.. instead of dropping it off at the fencerow where he found it.. he dropped it off inthe middle of the field!! fast forward 3 weeks with 20 of them being rain days.. grass is 2+' tall and I'm out there mowing with my batwing mower.. man that was a sound like a train hitting a baseball stadium.

int he end. just had a nick in a blade and a rapid heartbeat for a few seconds..

soundguy

/ Have you done a favor for a neighbor that has gone bad? #6  
I have an older 48" Bush Hog Squealer rotary mower. My neighbor and I have equal one and one half acre parcels. As the mower was fairly new (but used) to me, I offered to mow his pasture with my NH TC-40. Fun for me/tractor seat time UNTIL I HIT THE CROWBAR THAT ONE OF HIS KIDS HAD LEFT/THROWN (not during my mow job) WHATEVER INTO MY HIGH WEED PATH OF MOWING!!!@@ The BH was only slightly damaged, not enough to scrap the attachment. BTW: The crow bar was approximately 1" in diameter and 18" in length!

Same thing happened to me last year when my neighbor was recovering from surgery and I mowed his 8 acres with my Mahindra 5525 and a 6-ft Hawkline brush hog. Gave the hog a real workout--hit stumps from an old olive orchard, ran over chain, lumber lurking in the 3-ft weeds, etc. So harm, no foul.

/ Have you done a favor for a neighbor that has gone bad? #7  
I helped my neighbor brushhog his field. We, my tractor, brushhog, and I, discovered the brushhog works well to find and remove old fence and barbed wire in tall grass.
pissed.gif

/ Have you done a favor for a neighbor that has gone bad? #8  
and now the OP knows why having your pasture bushhogged isn't cheap or free.

That's the thing about bushhogging, you ALWAYS hit stuff, you just never know what. It's part of the job.

You offered to help out, I don't see the issue. and honestly the crowbar shouldn't have done much but "break in" your new bushhog and make a lot of noise.

Now, I do this for a business. The business owns the tractors and trucks and equipment. If a neighbor wants me to do something, then it costs. And it costs what it costs. I don't do anything for free (except maintain our shared private road).

Sorry, I have 100's of 1000's of dollars in equipment, I pay taxes on the plates on the tractors (ridiculous but true and not cheap), insurance, etc and if that equipment were to break, I would lose money.

If they want to hire someone, that's fine. If they want to hire me, that's fine too. And I'm more to willing to help out for free with THEIR equipment. But not mine, it's my livelihood.

/ Have you done a favor for a neighbor that has gone bad? #9  
I've been mowing my hay fields to keep the weeds down for many years. If you keep mowing you can still keep a good stand of hay for many years. Well last year a neighbor asked if he could buy the hay, 20 acres of it.
I had a lot of other projects so I told him I'd make him a deal, He could have all the hay he wanted for $50 but he had to mow all the fields even if he didn't take the hay. He said that was "OK".

Well he cut and bailed what he wanted, never mowed the rest of the fields, and never paid me the $50 for the hay. Then he has the audacity to come over and ask why I put the sign up at the end of my drive way stating "No more Horseback riding in my woods"

/ Have you done a favor for a neighbor that has gone bad? #10  
Toadhill, Amazingly predictable of "horse people" in the northeast. I have them on 3 sides. At my camp a "horse neighbor" routinely rides through the local farms hay fields without regard for standing hay. She'd be calling the cops if an ATV went anywhere near her property, which is of course posted. MikeD74T