Hay dog spring??

/ Hay dog spring?? #1  

ronchp

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3616
Any tricks to replace a hay dog spring? I have 2 acres to bale tomorrow and wondering if I should try to replace it while waiting for the dew to dry tomorrow or wait until after I am done. It's one of the upper dogs on an antique New Holland S68. Looks like a simple job if it can be easily pressed into place to install the pin or a PITA if it doesn't line up easily. Do I need to empty the bale chamber? Should I roll the knotters up? Noticed the broken spring as I was finishing up a small field today. Several broken knots today, but I attributed it to using the last of an old ball of baling twine-now wondering if the hay dog was causing the issue. The bales were still square little bricks.

/ Hay dog spring??
Thanks for the link. Wish I had one of those tools. Got it replaced. It's a 3 handed job to put it back together though.

/ Hay dog spring?? #4  
Yes I can see why an octopus would make a good baler mechanic! ;)

Well done and 'Happy Baleday'. :drink:

/ Hay dog spring?? #5  
Even with 4 hands I could not get mine done - then old neighbor came over (in his 80's) after hearing the commotion. Grabbed the vice grips I had in the tool box and a long screw driver - 30 seconds later and it was done (hesston 4550 top dog). Cost me two beers and a lot of groveling. He said in 40 years I might have it figured out. I laughed that in 40 years I was going to be like him and know just about everything. The tough part was getting the old dog out as it was rusted in place and the nuts were fused. Had to use a short/thin hack saw blade to get it cut (three cuts) and then drive the remaining bolt studs out. I gave up trying to remove the stud from the paw and just bought a new one. If I had known I would have gotten the complete assembly. Something to think about next time.

/ Hay dog spring??
Sort of good luck in that the spring the broke was installed with a pin that I was able to drive out. If it had been the other dog that is installed with a rust welded bolt, it would have been even more of a challenge. I probably need to put replacing them all on my winter project list.

/ Hay dog spring?? #7  
I can't get the top spring in either on my 4550. What did you do? My spring ends are pointing up instead of down like in the parts illustrations? If I turn the spring over there doesn't seem to be any tension? (My machine takes the earlier serial number spring) It's not letting me shove the spring down far enough to slide the bolt in? bjr

/ Hay dog spring?? #8  
Horribly late for you, but maybe this will help someone else.

Having just done this, powered by much cursing ... I found the easier way was to put the pin through the first side of the spring and frame BEFORE inserting the hay dog at all. That way there's less tension on the spring for the initial line up. Good luck.