Hay Farmers getting out of farming

/ Hay Farmers getting out of farming #251  
It's unbelievable that people who aren't actively involved in agriculture will argue with those who are that it isn't hard, worthwhile work.
I find it unbelievable that so many need to respond to a troll who thinks he's the only real farmer on TBN and a city boy who has a million opinions about things he knows nothing about.

/ Hay Farmers getting out of farming
You said you were kept idle by injuries. Nothing serious, I hope.

So, what do you do? Providing brush hogging, planting and harvesting services for farms?
Thanks.
I had injuries from 2 separate incidents. One bad (took a fall) and one not as bad. Was on bed rest for a week and another week of just being able to do minor things. Just getting back to work this week. Surgery upcoming.
Tried to go back too soon and ended up back home today resting again. I still think I’m 30.

I am a farmer doing between 350-400 acres of hay.
I also do a lot of custom mowing, trucking of my own hay and build barns & garages. Also plow snow.
Used to coach HS level sports for $, but resigned in 2019.

/ Hay Farmers getting out of farming #253  
I find it unbelievable that so many need to respond to a troll who thinks he's the only real farmer on TBN and a city boy who has a million opinions about things he knows nothing about.

I love people that talk in metaphors...

/ Hay Farmers getting out of farming #254  
I vehemently disagree, life is nothing but choices! We've been given the ability to have free choice, so we can "choose" to do whatever we want to do - good, not so good or indifferent! It's just that most, if not all, choices come with consequences. Some good, some not so good.
Well, you may be the lucky ones who get to choose which side of the bed you get up from. The majority of folks are dealt lousy cards they have to play with. If people have choices, very few will be driving tractors working 24/7 and praying for a good harvest in return for their backbreaking efforts. We are not living in Paradise, Chris. You are the lucky few who are spared a kick to the gut by life.

/ Hay Farmers getting out of farming #255  
I love people that talk in metaphors...
People who talk in metaphors are not dirt farmers who must deal with harsh realities of life. This nation is filled with too many people dealing with metaphors.

/ Hay Farmers getting out of farming #256  
I am a farmer doing between 350-400 acres of hay.
I also do a lot of custom mowing, trucking of my own hay and build barns & garages. Also plow snow.
Used to coach HS level sports for $, but resigned in 2019.
You seem to like keeping busy. Do you want it this way or do you have to do it? If you were to come in to a ton of money, would you junk your tractors and choose a life of leisure on a cruise ship?

/ Hay Farmers getting out of farming #257  
Well, you may be the lucky ones who get to choose which side of the bed you get up from. The majority of folks are dealt lousy cards they have to play with. If people have choices, very few will be driving tractors working 24/7 and praying for a good harvest in return for their backbreaking efforts. We are not living in Paradise, Chris. You are the lucky few who are spared a kick to the gut by life.
Odd way of putting it. When I was practicing as a psychologist my speciality was substance abuse. My clients talked very much like your last response. NO, I'm NOT implying or stating that you are an addict or anything like that!

Anyway, we all have bumps in our cobblestone path of life, sometimes those bumps make us fall on our face, sometimes we may catch a break and just stumble a bit. Ask yourself this little question: What would you do if you fell off a cliff? Seriously, that is the question!

Most would say something to the effect that "Oh, I'd die", "I'd scream & holler" etc.

Myself, I hope & pray that when I fall off that cliff I can be laughing and smiling all the way down - after all, people pay big bucks to catch some free fall!

Bottom line, either way you go, when you hit bottom you'll bounce. Would you like the coroner to see you with a big s#$% eatin' grin or with your eyes buldging out?

This is My philosophy on life. BTW, I've not stated this before ever here, but the reason I'm retired is because I got pretty messed up across the pond. I currently only have 10-15% use from my waist down and pretty much go from a wheelchair in the house to a track chair outside. My wife helps me get in the tractor (modified for hand use) and helps with implement changes. I can do most other things after she gets me into the SxS.

Fortunately, as I tell many, I don't have bad days, some days are just better than others. I don't think I've stated since my injury that I've been dealt bad cards or anything like that. For me it was just another bump along that cobblestone pathf of life!

Please do NOT feel sorry for me, I dont!

/ Hay Farmers getting out of farming
You seem to like keeping busy. Do you want it this way or do you have to do it? If you were to come in to a ton of money, would you junk your tractors and choose a life of leisure on a cruise ship?
Nope. I really like it.
Taught me more than high school or college degrees. Met a lot of nice people and made life long friendships.
Just wished there was a more reasonable level of pay for the time and effort exerted

/ Hay Farmers getting out of farming #259  
He dosen't have to do anything if he dosen't want to...but he does.
I would call that stewardship, Taking care of the land that takes care of him.

/ Hay Farmers getting out of farming #260  
I know... put 30 lines of what you own in your signature line; that'll show him. :):p
HA. I know this was a few pages ago but I couldn't resist a reply. I once tried to politely tell him that his super long signature was making us all scroll a lot more, and he basically told me to f off; "I browse this forum on my phone so I can't even see it".