Hay/straw advice

/ Hay/straw advice #1  

Tigershark

Silver Member
Tractor
KIOTI NX5510 Cab HST with Backhoe
I have around 25 acres of wheat planted this year. I am letting it head out because a couple of acres will be used for a dove field and for local wood ducks to feed in while standing. there is a little rye mixed in the stand, guess the certified seed wasn't as good as years past . Anyways having a hard time finding someone to combine it due to the timing in late June and July and how popular regular hay is so there is a good chance it will not be combined. Obviously if I can combine it I would be in a better position but looking for plan B. Have one giant dove field LOL, better solution Looking for some options on cutting it for straw. There is a market around me but it is narrow and I don't have much equipment other than a 55HP tractor and a couple of wagons i can use. I can rent some equipment. Did have someone offer .75 a bail to cut it it before it headed out but didn't want to take the loss on all the fertilizer I invested in and didn't want to plant beans or corn again this year after the drought last year. What options are there for cutting it for straw without combining ?
thanks for any advice.

/ Hay/straw advice #2  
Basically no option. For straw you want it devoid of heads because they will germinate when it's used for bedding and gets wet with urine.

/ Hay/straw advice
Thanks for the reply. I have a developer that is interested in several hundred square bales said the extra seed would be beneficial for seeding a new development. That痴 of course if the weather is perfect and I can find a couple pieces of equipment. Short of that would you recommend a burn down to kill off the weeds and Johnson grass and have a nice dove hunt ? The Johnson grass is just starting to come up in a few areas. I try to pull it out each year but there is a little too much this year was thinking of just spraying it when the wheat is mature