Hay Supplies

/ Hay Supplies #1  

Texasmark

Elite Member
Tractor
Ford: '88 3910 Series II, '65 3000; '07 6530C Branson with FEL, 2020 LS MT225S. All Diesels
Glad we had a bumper crop this year. Guys on the coast could use it. Only caveat is the shipping cost and logistics of getting it there. Don't know how to advise. Maybe the Texas Cattlemen's Association: Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raisers
It didn't load the first time I tried it so if it doesn't try till it loads. A valid www.

They could probably get you in touch with whomever you need to get things going as they are state wide and a lot of the BTOs are members....guys that would have the resources to get hay down there.

/ Hay Supplies #2  
Hay is expensive to freight. It's a bulky, relatively low weight, and low value product. It's cheaper to haul the cows to the feed than the feed to the cow.

/ Hay Supplies #3  
Not sure which coast you are talking about but a few years back there was a lot of South Carolina hay within 20 miles of the Atlantic shipped by tractor trailer to Texas. Also may find it interesting to know the US is selling and of course shipping hay to China now. If I remember it right think Idaho and maybe the states on the east side of the Rockies and maybe California are the big states in this.

One reason for the US agriculture not being as profitable as we should be is we sell our food to countries to feed animals they raise to slaughter and ship back to us. You know the same we do with our timber. We grow it, we log it and we ship the logs to them to make into lumber to ship back to us. You will find it had to get me to believe that is due to the price of the US worker. Think it is more regulation and such as EPA.

/ Hay Supplies
Not sure which coast you are talking about but a few years back there was a lot of South Carolina hay within 20 miles of the Atlantic shipped by tractor trailer to Texas. Also may find it interesting to know the US is selling and of course shipping hay to China now. If I remember it right think Idaho and maybe the states on the east side of the Rockies and maybe California are the big states in this.

One reason for the US agriculture not being as profitable as we should be is we sell our food to countries to feed animals they raise to slaughter and ship back to us. You know the same we do with our timber. We grow it, we log it and we ship the logs to them to make into lumber to ship back to us. You will find it had to get me to believe that is due to the price of the US worker. Think it is more regulation and such as EPA.

No doubt in my mind that the EPA is responsible for a lot of our lost labor. Think about it. Back in the days of the "Industrial revolution" we were the big producer of product with lots of high paying jobs........ and high environmental hazards. We just shipped all that overseas so we could have clean air and water......while we waited in the soup lines.

/ Hay Supplies #5  
There's a bunch of guys hurting for hay up here too. We had a very dry year this year. Very poor hay production from just about everyone I've talked to. This winter is going to be tough, I don't know anyone with enough hay put up to get through to spring.

/ Hay Supplies #6  
No doubt in my mind that the EPA is responsible for a lot of our lost labor. Think about it. Back in the days of the "Industrial revolution" we were the big producer of product with lots of high paying jobs........ and high environmental hazards. We just shipped all that overseas so we could have clean air and water......while we waited in the soup lines.

I agree but the other part is now the air is coming to us in winds across the ocean from China, the seafood from some counties is not safe and very little tested as least the last I have read on seafood imports from Asia at least some countries there but the one exception I THINK on this is hogs from Europe in those canned hams.

/ Hay Supplies #7  
There's a bunch of guys hurting for hay up here too. We had a very dry year this year. Very poor hay production from just about everyone I've talked to. This winter is going to be tough, I don't know anyone with enough hay put up to get through to spring.

Issue here is the opposite, we have had so much rain and so often over about six weeks

/ Hay Supplies #8  
I don't know if it is feasible any more or not. Back in the summer of 1980 it was hot and dry. Big hay short fall. Also, a few years back, it was really dry in the southeast (Georgia) and a lot of hay was shipped via the railroad. The shortage was such that a few truck loads was going to do it. If you need to ship hay, you might check into the railroad.

/ Hay Supplies
I don't know if it is feasible any more or not. Back in the summer of 1980 it was hot and dry. Big hay short fall. Also, a few years back, it was really dry in the southeast (Georgia) and a lot of hay was shipped via the railroad. The shortage was such that a few truck loads was going to do it. If you need to ship hay, you might check into the railroad.

I thought about that and that would surely be a viable alternative if the volume was sufficient and connection facilities on both ends were in place.