Headlight bulbs

/ Headlight bulbs #21  
Ah, I believe you are right. I was mistaken by the big white connector with no hookup when looking at the image in the small scale size previously. Thanks!

Yes that connector that is not connected is for the other original headlight. If you read closely, he told you he wired them together. Assumption are usually bad judgements!

/ Headlight bulbs #22  
I put LED's in place of the factory HI/Lo lights maybe a year or two ago. Big difference though you don't have hi/lo. Don't need it IMO. Guessing you could do low if you added a resistor.

IMG_20171105_152001.jpg

/ Headlight bulbs #23  
I put LED's in place of the factory HI/Lo lights maybe a year or two ago. Big difference though you don't have hi/lo. Don't need it IMO. Guessing you could do low if you added a resistor.

View attachment 635960
Or you could just run one light for low and both for high. Might look odd though.

/ Headlight bulbs #24  
Or you could just run one light for low and both for high. Might look odd though.

I thought about cleaning up the connections by soldering and heat taping them but settled for the wire nuts at least temporarily. Next thing I was planning on adding was an LED light off the back since I'm looking backward alot when pulling and pushing snow. I wasn't sure if I was going to use the old turn signal wiring or run a wire from that open connector to the rear light. That way one pull out would be the front lights and the second pull would be the rear.

/ Headlight bulbs #25  
I thought about cleaning up the connections by soldering and heat taping them but settled for the wire nuts at least temporarily. Next thing I was planning on adding was an LED light off the back since I'm looking backward alot when pulling and pushing snow. I wasn't sure if I was going to use the old turn signal wiring or run a wire from that open connector to the rear light. That way one pull out would be the front lights and the second pull would be the rear.

Good idea.

Our tractors tend to have low Amp output alternators. So, LEDs fit the needs. However, LEDs have eye health issues. I'm noticing more LED options with the warm 3500K for headlamps and fog lights recently. This 3500K shines like a halogen on a bright setting with the normal white/yellow brilliance. These are better on the eyes and not blinding to people and critters around.

As for wiring. Our tractors are 30 to 40 years old. Thus, new wires would be far better. :thumbsup: Automotive TXL or GXL grade would work in our applications. GXL is the better of the two as it's used in automotive under hood applications. Then from there pick a good gauge thickness for durability and continuity.

If you had to keep the looks of the original front headlamps, is it possible to just use the glass lenses in the open sockets in front of the LED lamps? Not sure of the Yanmar glass lenes on your tractor. Some were basic as clear glass and others have the ray reflections shaped in the glass. I would assume the clear would work the best for the LEDs. Your thoughts?

Last edited:
   / Headlight bulbs #26  
I believe this is the Org. Yanmar bulb for a YM2000. Not 100% sure until I have it in my hand but I think it's correct. I just never use my H.Lights. I replace 1 bad bulb that was burnt when I purchased it. Over 10yrs. ago. In a matter of months the other went out. I still have one that works and a work light. I believe :rolleyes: been so long since I checked but now they will get replaced if the correct one.Yanmar Headlight Bulb, SBA3851263 at Tractor Supply Co.

/ Headlight bulbs #27  
I believe this is the Org. Yanmar bulb for a YM2000. Not 100% sure until I have it in my hand but I think it's correct. I just never use my H.Lights. I replace 1 bad bulb that was burnt when I purchased it. Over 10yrs. ago. In a matter of months the other went out. I still have one that works and a work light. I believe :rolleyes: been so long since I checked but now they will get replaced if the correct one.Yanmar Headlight Bulb, SBA3851263 at Tractor Supply Co.

:thumbsup:

/ Headlight bulbs #28  

Following the link you provided, that bulb is a 25/25 watt. If I remember correctly our tractors burn 1 element on low and the other on high beam. Not both in high beam. Having the same element wattage on low and High beam defeats the ideal of low and high beams and a poor trade off for the LED’s direction this discussion had gone in!
Personally, mine did not have light sockets when I bought my tractor. In fact it had no wiring going to the hood. So I bought some sockets and bulbs and converted my housings to accept the sockets. I believe I used H3 bulbs. Next change I will probably do LED’s. Very low amp draw for great lighting. My work light is already converted to LED’s and one light puts out more light than my converted headlights for less amp draw!

/ Headlight bulbs #29  
LB-4155 YM200,2500,3000 Repl194155-8810 My Fred. Parts receipt from 09. My parts say 12v 25/35W with more Models that use it. same Repl.# My problem was A Min. purchase to get another Replacement which I haven't had to order any parts. A 5W difference isn't going to hurt my feelings and cause me to Alter my all Org.YM2000 esp. now that I can get that bulb 3 miles away that will work and cheaper it looks like. When I have it in my hand looking at it I'll believe it will work. Twelve Yrs. and over 800 Tach hrs. like I said I may have used the H-lights maybe a handful or two tops!!!

/ Headlight bulbs #30  
I decided to ditch the weak OEM incandescent bulbs on my 1401D when one burned out and I could quickly find a replacement.

I bought a couple of 8 LED 12V lights off eBay - I think they were under $20 each.

I took a piece of 1" aluminum angle and made a bracket and drilled holes that matched the existing upper grill mounting holes. This brought the lights into near perfect position with the existing headlight openings.

I used the existing connector, clipped off the ends near the sockets and wired in the 2 lights. They are wired with just one ON position which turns on both lights. I considered wiring for the first pull (low beam) just turning on one light and the second pull (high beam) turning on both lights.

I move snow with the tractor and these lights work awesome in the darkness - so much so that I may rewire to the high/low beam.

They only draw something like 3 amps each.

Note that the photo of the mounting is with the hood open so it's upside down.

The whole job took less than an hour mostly time spent lining things up.

P.S. I couldn't afford official suitcase weights so I resorted to a wheel weight from a Cub LoBoy!

I think I saw your post or someone else's. Not that I can't make or mod things, I could even weld up something, but I don't need another project or want to put the time or effort into doing that. I even have two sets of smaller LED lights around here I believe, one yellow and one square set. I could make something work, but again I don't want another project, I am behind in what I have to do already. I would much rather have drop in bulbs. That's why this thread caught my attention.