Heaviest attachments

/ Heaviest attachments #11  
I bought a couple of attachments at an auction nearby (about 50ish miles away each way) a few years ago. I rented a trailer from the local rental yard for the day; it was $100 for 24h for what looked like about a 14k or heavier trailer (they told me when asked that the trailers are derated to 9990 for CDL here).

As much as I want a trailer - almost as much as I wanted a tractor - it turns out that while I use the tractor at almost weekly (some weeks all week long, some weeks not at all), I would likely use a trailer four or five times a year if I had one (and since I don't have one, I badly need one about once every three years, but if I had one, you know I'd use it a little more often, though I'm not quite sure what for).

Considering the current costs of a trailer to buy new, upkeep on the trailer (tires rotting - especially if they're not TBN's favorite trailer tires, deck boards), licensing and insurance, if you don't have a need for trailers often I'd strongly consider waiting on a trailer until it becomes a "I really need this".

Plus, I'll be jealous if you get a really cool trailer before I do.

/ Heaviest attachments #12  
The ability to load/unload from the sides (particularly with pallet forks if so desired) may drive the size of the trailer more than the weight that needs to be carried.

The smallest (non-custom) trailers I've found with a deck over the wheels have all been rated for 7000 lbs or more.

I'd agree that 1500lbs to (possibly) 2000lbs would likely be the heaviest needed for a single implement..... though if you buy multiple at a time additional margin might be helpful (even if both implements aren't the heaviest possible).

However, the real limiting factor for a single implement might be the loader lifting capacity of your tractor (which may be lighter than the heaviest implement the tractor could handle on the 3pt) - or whatever other equipment you have to unload the trailer.

Of course the other aspect to consider is the largest footprint of any implement you're likely to buy (e.g. spike harrows and 3pt cultivators generally aren't that heavy for their size, but they can have quite the footprint).

For example the trailer in this picture was specifically bought for the need to haul this single order home, but with the expectation of also using it for long lengths of lumber or other material that takes a great amount of space, but isn't overly heavy/dense.

Attachments

• 1009191430_HDR.jpg
    1009191430_HDR.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 83
   / Heaviest attachments
I bought a couple of attachments at an auction nearby (about 50ish miles away each way) a few years ago. I rented a trailer from the local rental yard for the day; it was $100 for 24h for what looked like about a 14k or heavier trailer (they told me when asked that the trailers are derated to 9990 for CDL here).

As much as I want a trailer - almost as much as I wanted a tractor - it turns out that while I use the tractor at almost weekly (some weeks all week long, some weeks not at all), I would likely use a trailer four or five times a year if I had one (and since I don't have one, I badly need one about once every three years, but if I had one, you know I'd use it a little more often, though I'm not quite sure what for).

Considering the current costs of a trailer to buy new, upkeep on the trailer (tires rotting - especially if they're not TBN's favorite trailer tires, deck boards), licensing and insurance, if you don't have a need for trailers often I'd strongly consider waiting on a trailer until it becomes a "I really need this".

Plus, I'll be jealous if you get a really cool trailer before I do.
An advantage of Texas over California, for a small farm trailer, even a title and license plate is optional. I have had a small trailer before and I know I will use it. Most likely, I will get a used trailer. That remains to be seen, depending on what's available. Trailers seem to be in abundance around here. I pass quite a few dealers in my 3 hour drive across the Metroplex to my property.

/ Heaviest attachments
The ability to load/unload from the sides (particularly with pallet forks if so desired) may drive the size of the trailer more

However, the real limiting factor for a single implement might be the loader lifting capacity of your tractor (which may be lighter than the heaviest implement the tractor could handle on the 3pt) - or whatever other equipment you have to unload the trailer.

Of course the other aspect to consider is the largest footprint of any implement you're likely to buy (e.g. spike harrows and 3pt cultivators generally aren't that heavy for their size, but they can have quite the footprint).
good points. I may get a tiller, but harrows and cultivators are outside my scope...mostly forest...loblolly pines, mostly in rows...:)

I want removable sides, had them before and useful to me...the option of deck over gave me something to consider. I will not have my sons nearby often...so thanks!

/ Heaviest attachments #15  
Torvy - Absolutely agree with you. When first purchased tractor, and knowing nothing, I bought several attachments from a dealer. Now, I wouldn't think of buying new. Always lots of used about, at much better prices. And they do require a means of getting them back to the tractor
Thanks for introducing me to Ceteris Paribus. Always good to learn new words.
And finally, I don't think you mean marginal utility. I believe that's one more of the same item.

/ Heaviest attachments
And finally, I don't think you mean marginal utility. I believe that's one more of the same item.
I know better... I'm an Economics teacher by day. Was reaching for the right word...it does sort of work. The first one of an item has more marginal utility than additional ones. Technically, they need not be the same item. For example, if I have a push broom, there would be less marginal utility in buying a dust broom than otherwise because you could 'make do'. The dust broom would have more marginal utility than a 2nd push broom....of course, utility depends on the value to you....if you have a small crew, the 2nd push broom would have more marginal utility than if you were alone...thanks for giving me a chance to clear that up, it bothered me as I typed it.

/ Heaviest attachments #17  
I've got several implements. Some might say - "too many". Whatever. I've always had these implements delivered by the selling dealer. I have no need for an on-road trailer. I have a farm wagon that is used on my property exclusively. Trying to find ANY used implement around here is like finding a river on Atacama desert.

My heaviest implement would be my rear blade @ 1050 pounds.

Likewise - I've never had a reason to move my tractor or any implement off my property.

/ Heaviest attachments #18  
good points. I may get a tiller, but harrows and cultivators are outside my scope...mostly forest...loblolly pines, mostly in rows...:)

I want removable sides, had them before and useful to me...the option of deck over gave me something to consider. I will not have my sons nearby often...so thanks!
If (and that can be a rather large if) a dump trailer is needed .. there are models that are deckovers which also have hinged sides. Can be a nice combination though it tends to eat into the trailer's carrying capacity vs a straight deckover (most of which will have stake pockets).

Really depends on what's needed, in my case I was operating alone and so needed to be able to use the tractor for as much unloading as possible.

In hindsight a shorter trailer probably would have been more useful (perhaps 14ft to 16ft plus the dove tail instead of 20 ft with the dove tail), but I was thinking being able to load 3 rows of 6ft. implements on a trailer would/(will) come in handy if/when I get around to having a second property and have to shuttle tractor and implements between locations. Of course at that point two trailers would also be needed since loading/unloading implements could only be done where the tractor is located.

/ Heaviest attachments #19  
It seems rather simple.

Make up a list of every possible attachment you may desire. That should take about 15 minutes. Pick the one that is the heaviest and the one that is the largest. That will set the maximum size and load capacity to plan for. We cannot guess your needs.

BTW, when I bought my tractor "free" pick up for service was a factor. I found a dealer that would provide "free" pickup and delivery for warranty and service work. Many "enablers" on this site recommended I get a trailer but that would have cost over $4500. Sure, it would be handy for other things, but then you need to store it, cut grass around it and maintain it.

I have had all my implements delivered for "free" by the dealer/supplier. I picked up a tiller that would fit in the pickup truck bed. BTW, at least in my area, there is little to be saved by buying used "junk"....at least not enough to justify having a trailer to haul it.

/ Heaviest attachments #20  
Many implements fit into the standard bed of a truck. Do you really need a trailer?