help/advice, used L3010 or new L2800

/ help/advice, used L3010 or new L2800 #1  

rogueRiver

Which one would you buy and why?
- 2003?, L3010HST, FEL, 495hrs, looks clean, $15,000.00.
- New L2800HST, FEL, 0 down 0% for 36 months. $16,500.00 Best the dealer will do. No free first service no free pickup/delivery for service.

I can’t seem to get the full specs for the L3010 anywhere. Which current model is the L3010HST closest to and what might be different between them?

I want to buy soon and don’t want to lose out on the L3010 if it is worth it. Not too many used kubotas in my area.

I have never owned any tractor before.
I just purchased a 10acre parcel of land that is not level with house.
I don’t know my exact needs for a tractor… helping-hand to move earth and soil, lift and move heavy objects, clear brush and drag trees, make and maintain driveway, dig holes for posts and tree planting. No mowing and probably no tilling.

Never having used or owned a tractor before I am concerned that no matter how much research I do, I will have to refine my needs and the ability for what I would like a tractor for after the purchase. Therefore I would like to get a tractor that hopefully will be the right one but if not will hold up to the best resale value and be attractive to a wider audience, so I don’t get hit too badly on my first decision.

Thank you,
Jack

/ help/advice, used L3010 or new L2800 #2  
L3010 was one of the first of the "Grand L series" www.kubota.com has specs for most of their products. Check out loader specs too, to see if they are the same. Used one might already have weights or filled tires, that will save a few bucks.

/ help/advice, used L3010 or new L2800 #3  
fwiw:

500 hours is alot of time for a homeowner. i would want documentation of services, to speak to the prior owner and determine the type of use it was subjected too.

imo you are not compairing apples to apples. i would take the new machine. as a matter of fact i would shop around. you should be able to get a L3400 with fel @ 0% for that price.

you might want to review the L2800hst pto thread too.

good luck, i am sure you will enjoy either.

/ help/advice, used L3010 or new L2800 #4  
LA481 loader is rated at 1058lbs lift, 1951lbs breakout, 97.2" clearance to bottom of bucket.

L3010 has 3 cyl 1499cc diesel, 30.4hp, 25.5 PTO hp, 2720lbs, 43.5" front track, 44.1"/51.4" rear track.
Cat I three point 2870lbs lift, 2200lbs 24" behind lift points.

low mid and high range HST

/ help/advice, used L3010 or new L2800
PAexcavator, thank you.

Where do I get the specs from the kubota site? I only see specs for new models. when I look up prior models the site only shows information for
Year Introduced
Transmission Type
GROSS Horsepower
2 or 4 Wheel Drive.

That's all I find from the site.

DVR, thank you too.

is 500 hours a lot for a 2002/3 tractor? Or is it a lot of hours if it was only one owner?

The history for the l3010hst as I understand, it was purchased from the dealer with 100hours on it. I contacted the dealer who could not bring up the history of the tractor using the serial number. Says that if they sold it used it must have been a "harvest rental" which would mean that the 50 hour service would have been done and that they would have most likely serviced it before selling it with the 100hr on it. The dealer also said that "harvest rentals" are only used for pulling trailers around the orchard. The tractor dose not go out as a "harvest rental" with the FEL, they put the FEL after they get it back to resale. When asked about 100 hours for a "HR" they thought it seemed low. The person that I might buy it from bought it from who bought it from the dealer. I would be the 4th owner if I go with this L3010. This is what brought me here, to see if the good people at TBN can help me make sense of things and make a good first purchase.

I also believe the l3010hst has a mid-pto installed if that helps the price or resale value? I do not know if the tires are loaded or not.

/ help/advice, used L3010 or new L2800
PAexcavator,

I have been looking everywhere for specs. Where did you find them?
Do you have info for the LA482 w/ L1780 bucket?
Never mind I see in your footer that you have this tractor. Any insight to help me out?
Are the specs you listed for an HST?

/ help/advice, used L3010 or new L2800 #7  
rogueRiver said:
PAexcavator,

I have been looking everywhere for specs. Where did you find them?
Do you have info for the LA482 w/ L1780 bucket?
Never mind I see in your footer that you have this tractor. Any insight to help me out?
Are the specs you listed for an HST?

I own a L3010 with the GST tranny, and love it. I bought mine with 450 hours on it. It's extremely strong running, and is much heavier than the 2800 with some nice features such as the extendable links on the tph, which are worth their weight in gold. I also love the operators position. Sit on the 3010 and sit on the 2800....no comparison in operator comfort. New tractor comparable to 3010 (4x4 with FEL)will cost you 20k, so 15k is not what I would call a super bargain, but still a 5k savings over new. Not to bad for only 4 years old. Look it over for indications of heavy use or abuse. Such as pedal wear, fel condition (cylinder oil leaks?), worn paint on operator floorboard?, any indication of a backhoe hooked up?, tire condition, etc.... The only thing you said that bugs me a little is that it's been owned so many times. Why is everyone getting rid of a good tractor? Might be circumstantial, but....just bugs me. However, if the 3010 is in good condition, you won't go wrong.

My 2 c. let me know if you need more information. I have both operator manuals for mine. Also, check TractorData.com - information on all makes and models of tractors for specs. Check Used Tractors at TractorHouse.com: John Deere Tractors, used farm tractors and farm equipment, Case IH, New Holland, Agco, Caterpillar. for price comparisons

Good Luck whichever way you go. Remember too...you can always walk away, and keep looking. There's always another one.

/ help/advice, used L3010 or new L2800 #8  
I realize that it is always difficult to know if a tractor purchase is a long term possession. However, based on your new land acquisition, I suspect that you will want a tractor for as long as you own the property. You will discover endless opportunities to use a tractor.

With that assumption, long term ownership is usually dictated by not out growing the tractor you own. People generally upgrade to gain more horsepower, first and foremost. Other features become important or necessary [such as the ability to use front attachments, additional PTO power, and the type of transmission].

Given that this is your first tractor, I would suggest that you buy a tractor that has a mid-mount PTO for the ability to operate front attachments and a mid mount mower. You might never use such attachments, but the cost to upgrade [sell and buy] is usually a lot more money than the cost to buy these features when you acquire your first tractor. I would also buy as much horsepower as possible within your budget. I have never known anyone who complained of having too much hp. The only issue with hp can be tractor size. You have to find that perfect middle ground where you get more than enough hp while not buying a tractor that is too big for your property. Access is a big factor when using a tractor.

If you see this tractor as a long term possession, I would recommend that you buy a new one. Enjoy the full warranty, the dealership service, and the peace of mind that comes with a new purchase under warranty.

Good luck!
The Gardener

/ help/advice, used L3010 or new L2800 #9  
Rogueriver,

For what it is worth, here's another thought to consider. I base this consideration on the premise that no one tractor is ideal for every need. Probably the easiest way to support this distinction is to focus on tractor size. Again, access is a huge factor when choosing the appropriate tractor. Size also equates to weight. There are times when width, length, height, and/or weight become crtically important factors when using a tractor for a specific task.

You may consider a two tractor solution to your long term needs. Base your purchase order on present need. If your initial tasks are brute force efforts, buy a large tractor that has no mid-mount PTO, no cruise control, and limited extras. This beast can be designated to logging, road maintenance, boulder excavations, and etc.: the BIG jobs.

Once you refine the property a few years down the road, you can look into acquiring a much smaller tractor that is ideal for working in tight quarters. It would have the mid-mount PTO and some of those creature comforts that go hand in hand with that type of work.

We have had our 15+/- acreage for 16 years. It has evolved and continues to evolve with every completed project. What is interesting is to see how rough terrain and groomed terrain begin to blend together in unexpected ways and in unexpected locations. This has to do with the ideas that you keep developing for the property as new opportunities open up via the completion of a recent project.

We have hired out the BIG jobs time and again. We sold our old tractor, and now we are almost ready to purchase a tractor that can address needs that range somewhere between groomed acreage and rough terrain.

This type of approach [two tractors or hiring out big jobs] minimizes the "mistake purchase". I am quite sure that many of these forum members have more than one tractor, and they most likely choose which tractor to use based on the job at hand.

Cheers!
The Gardener

/ help/advice, used L3010 or new L2800 #10  
500 hours is nothing!

mark