HELP! Anybody using KK 48" Tiller on a BX?

/ HELP! Anybody using KK 48" Tiller on a BX? #1  

surfran

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX1800
HELP! Anybody using KK 48\" Tiller on a BX?

Is anyone using a KK 48" Tiller on a BX? I just purchased one and am wondering if it can be used on the BX now that I have it.

I am trying to follow the directions for cutting the PTO shaft. The book says position the tiller to the position with the closest distance between the splines which is fully raised for me. Then it tells you to hold each shaft next to the outer section and check if it is too long.

This is where I am not sure if I am doing it correctly starting with the following statement.

"Each section should end approx. 3" short of reaching the U-Joint shield on the opposite section. If the shaft is too long measure 3 inches back from each u-joint shield and mark the other shaft section."

I am not sure whether to measure it from the very end of the shield (end closest to u-joint farthest from opposing shaft) or to measure from the beginning of the flare that starts the u-joint shaft which is closer to the opposing shaft.

If I use the part where it flares out then I do not have 6" of overlap with it at the farthest out position. I only get about 4" between the two marks in the lowest position (farthest distance from the splines).

Has anyone done this?

/ HELP! Anybody using KK 48" Tiller on a BX? #2  
Re: HELP! Anybody using KK 48\" Tiller on a BX?

I have a BX1500, and the owners manual that came with it also covers both the 1830 & 2230. According to the manual, Kubota recomends only a 42" tiller. I would be interested in knowing how you make out with the 48"

Jim

/ HELP! Anybody using KK 48" Tiller on a BX? #3  

Having just acquired my Kubota BX2230, I was also pondering that same decision. I think I have set my sights on the Woods, general Purpose GTO40. At 40" and 375lbs, it can also offset.

Please let us know how you make out. Frankly, I don't think you will have trouble with the weight.

/ HELP! Anybody using KK 48" Tiller on a BX? #4  

Just got a 2230 with a MF 48 tiller last week, and it works great. No problem of any kind.

Dave

/ HELP! Anybody using KK 48" Tiller on a BX?

Weight is not my main concern, it says the ship weight is 600 lbs so I would guess about 550 for tiller. I have it mounted and have been moving it around as well as off my trailer to unload it.

My concern is the PTO shaft. By following their instructions, it appears it may not work or I am not following them properly.

So I am really wondering if anyone else has used the normal 48" KK as they do sell the XB series as well (of course it wasn't on sale /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif)

/ HELP! Anybody using KK 48" Tiller on a BX? #6  

Just make sure you have enough overlap when the tiller is in the down postition. You may not be able to raise the tiller to the full-up position. I have a 56" Caroni tiller and can't quite raise it all the way up; but it works fine.

/ HELP! Anybody using KK 48" Tiller on a BX? #7  

I've had the 48" KK for several years now and it works fine. I didnt get as precise as you did on the shaft length. I eyeballed it, cut it and went to work It was a little long at first and it would hit the tiller in the raised position, so I recut it and it works fine

/ HELP! Anybody using KK 48" Tiller on a BX? #8  

IMO, the brand or implement has nothing to do with your question. The idea is to have the shaft just short enough so it always has a little of the male shaft revealed so the female shaft doesn't bottom out on the u joint on the male shaft (when attachment is raised). This will put pressure on your tractor pto stub and could push it into the tractor case as there is, most likely, no thrust washer/bearing to carry the force. 2nd, you usually want to make sure there is at least 6" of shaft overlap ... don't cut it too short.
Hope that helps.

/ HELP! Anybody using KK 48" Tiller on a BX? #9  

Yes, I just did this exact thing 10 days ago. I will measure
the length of PTO shaft I cut off and send you the number.
It was approximately 3" but let me measure it as the pieces
I cut off are probably still laying on my workbench.

As far as the 6" overlap, I did not have it either. I hung the
tiller over a ledge and let it go down as far as it would hang,
and I had about 4" of overlap. I figured it would never go down
that far during normal use, so I ignored that recommendation
in the manual.

/ HELP! Anybody using KK 48" Tiller on a BX? #10  

I cut off 3 and 5/8 inches of the shaft and cover to use
the KK cutter on my BX-22. This is the TG-48 not the XB!
(see attached photo for shaft cut). Pictures of the tiller are
on my webpage via my profile.

Note: when I went to TSC to buy the tiller, the only XB they had
was one that was all torn up (returned) because it could not handle
the HP of a big tractor. This is why I decided to go with the "full size" KK because I knew my little BX would not be able to tear it up.

Attachments

• 664070-pto.jpg
    664070-pto.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 352