Help from Road Builders

/ Help from Road Builders #1  

Gittyup

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti CK25 Shuttle Shift, loaded tires, JD X739
I need some advice on what/how to prevent erosion from washing out the driveway that I am building. It's still under construction. So, almost anything goes as far as solutions. Rather than repost photos, etc. here is a link to another post witht the information. Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1455690#post1455690

/ Help from Road Builders #2  
Gittyup said:
I need some advice on what/how to prevent erosion from washing out the driveway that I am building. It's still under construction. So, almost anything goes as far as solutions. Rather than repost photos, etc. here is a link to another post witht the information. Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1455690#post1455690
We maintain our road where I live.I would say to keep a good crown on the road and try to keep as many big rocks or field stone towards the ditches for water flow.We recently (1-2years) had ground up asphalt put down on our road,this great stuff and has held up the best from anything we have tried.coobie

/ Help from Road Builders #3  
Crown it, Put drainage ditches on the side, and use 3/4 crusher run as the surface after compacting and crowning. Put culverts where the water wants to cross the road.

/ Help from Road Builders
Thanks for the suggestions. Crowning makes since on the straight parts...mostly. But, shouldn't the curve be banked to the inside to prevent sliding off the lower side of the road in the turn? The Walnut trees would stop you, but I'd rather gravity did that. Also the side where the concrete is laying is a very steep drop off. Get off there and your sure to roll over to the bottom. I would think I wouldn't want to bank (crown) to that side at all. That is why I sloped it toward the left side, to try and get the water at the top to the left as much as possible and channel it down that side. To do this, I thought I might have to install a break or channel culvert diagonally about half way down the hill to catch run-off. But, I've never done this before and so don't really know if any of what I said makes any since at all.

/ Help from Road Builders #5  
I believe the entire road can be pitched rather than both sides.

jmf

/ Help from Road Builders #6  
Imagine you are the water, look where you want to go, and make it easy and quick for yourself to get off the road.

Mike

/ Help from Road Builders #7  
you can pitch the whole road. But you really shouldn't be driving on a non paved road at speeds where banking is an issue...

/ Help from Road Builders #8  
I bank many of the driveways that I rebuild, sometimes it's your only option. The downfall is when it is icey, when straddling a crown it's hard to slide off a road, if pitched one way you may slide where the water goes:eek: .

Anything that isn't travel area cover with grass, buckwheat, erosion mulch or at least hay to keep it from eroding. Water running off an imperviuos surface like gravel or reclaim can destroy your shoulders without something to hold it.

Good luck.

/ Help from Road Builders
Speed in the turn isn't the issue (you'd have to be a complete idiot to try and go fast on this thing). It's more about gravity combined with turning that would tend to pull one off the downhill side of the turn. So, I thought I'd at least make it flat in the turn or slight banked inward. Not sure how I would go about crowning in such a situation.

Both shoulders are covered with either stone or concrete chunks. The targeted drainage shoulder has a lot of stone on it. When I'm done filling/grading I plan to trench down the left side in front of the stone and then pull the stone into the trench (assuming I don't crown).

As for ice, I just won't use it when it's like that. There is no way I could climb it under such conditions anyway. I'd surely end up off the road just like the water.

Another Q: Should I use geotextile?

Thanks for the feedback.

/ Help from Road Builders #10  
When loggers build a road into a forest, Best Management Practices or BMPs require them to build "water bars" to keep the water from eroding the road. These are basically small sections of the road that direct the water from the travelled surface to the side and downhill. You can probably get information on the web or from your state DNR or SWCD. Look under logging BMPs or maybe waterbars on the web.

My drive is on a hill, runs up and across the sidehill for part of it and straight up the slope for another part. The part on the sidehill is curved with the outside of the curve on the natural downhill side.

I had the guys who put it in bank the outside, downhill, side higher than the inside. They laid in very large broken rock and drove over that with the dozer. Then they laid in crusher run and ran over it with a rented vibrating roller. I had them put a top coat of dolomitic limestone on it. The thing is now going on 6 years old and has had very little erosion. When something starts, I grade it promptly with my backblade, putting larger stone where I want the water to flow, along the inside of the curve. In winter, I plow it regularly and maintain the grade while piling the plow wash up as ridges on either side. When we get ice, I use my toothbar to scrape down through it to the gravel and then spread that along the surface. The only who ever got stuck is my teenage stepson, whom I found sideways in the drive last winter. I got in his car and resolved the problem while giving him a lesson in snow driving.