Help getting welder wired in!

/ Help getting welder wired in! #1  

fishpick

Platinum Member
Tractor
L4760 & BX24
OK - it's time - need the welder... I need to fix the snow thrower I bought... and now - the broken bush hog too! Time to bite the bullet... but before I can post cool welded project pics - I need to get the welder running...

But here's the thing - the manual online for the welder I'm getting says: (http://www.hobartwelders.com/om/0900/o950b_hob.pdf - section 4.6)

Input Amperes At Rated Output - 47.5
Max Recommended Standard Fuse Rating In Amperes - 50
Min Input Conductor Size In AWG - 12

Uhh - am I missing something here? AWG 12 is rated to 20A... Houston Wire & Cable Company - NEC Table 310.16

/ Help getting welder wired in! #2  
It has to do with the duty cycle for the welder. Welder outlets are often de-rated this way.

If you can afford it, you may just want to run a #8 and a 60 amp breaker, that way you will be set for just about any welder.

/ Help getting welder wired in! #3  
Here it goes again...

Yes...

AWG 12 is 20A wire.

Something somewhere says it's ok to run a welder on lighter than normal wire because it's not a continuous load.

I wouldn't use 12 if I were wiring it. The last welder circuit I wired was done with AWG 6 for a 50 foot run to plug in an old Thunderbolt 225. (About the same current requirements, I believe...)

Now watch the debate begin... :rolleyes:

/ Help getting welder wired in! #4  
Welders is a case where conductors can be protected at up to 200% of their rated ampacity according to the NECョ. #12 THHN/THWN is actually rated at 25A. 25A at 200% is 50A. It all depends on the duty cycle rating and and the setting on the welder output
My welder recommended #10 and I went with that.

/ Help getting welder wired in! #5  
fishpick, I had the same concerns when I helped a friend wire up his welder. The manual said to use a 100A breaker with #6 wire. I thought it was a mistake but after an electrical engineer told me welders are a classic example of where wire sizes can be derated, we wired it as per instructions and 2 years later it's welding just fine. There are no indications of excessive heat on the wire ends.

/ Help getting welder wired in! #6  
A lot of people think they're saving money by using the smallest wire allowed simply because thinner wire is cheaper than thicker wire. If that was all there was to it then that would be true. But what many people don't consider is the fact that the thinner wire transmits a lower percentage of what you're paying for (electricity) to the point where it is being used and a higher percentage of electricity (money) is being wasted as heat.

I do just the opposite I almost always wire with the next size larger wire. Example for lighting circuits I use 12awg and outlets I use 10awg.

Pay more now one time or pay more on every electric bill forever.

/ Help getting welder wired in! #7  
It sounds like you are making the run from the panel to the wall mounted female plug for the welder to plug into. Is there any chance that this plug might be used for something else in the future like an air compressor or maybe plasma cutter that won't be able to use this fancy 200% reduction rule? In both of the houses that I've wired in these high amp circuits I used wire rated for the current that the breaker could pass. In other words, no 200% deduction reduction malarchy. I generally like to meet the requirements for electrical work but in this case I will exceed them since there is nothing to say that some holigan down the road won't use my welder plug for his cool new 220 volt electrical space heater.

/ Help getting welder wired in! #8  
Maybe I am out of the loop on this, and out of line, since I am not an electrician, but no way am I going to set up a 50amp breaker on a circuit and run 12 guage wire to the wall outlet. I won't even run 10ga cu wire on that type of circuit. It may seem like cost savings but I really like my house/garage and don't want to risk a fire, especially one in the walls where electricity usually runs.
David from jax

Is the cost savings worth the risk?

/ Help getting welder wired in! #9  
FWIW I just checked and the outlet for my welder is wired with #4awg. Like I said I tend to go one wire size over what is normally required.

/ Help getting welder wired in! #10  
Inspector507 said:
Welders is a case where conductors can be protected at up to 200% of their rated ampacity according to the NECョ. #12 THHN/THWN is actually rated at 25A. 25A at 200% is 50A. It all depends on the duty cycle rating and and the setting on the welder output
My welder recommended #10 and I went with that.

I know that you are a professional electrician but I am suprised that you agreed with this. Forget about the welder itself what if you have something shorted maybe something as simple as a mouse chewing the wire or something shorting in the welder. My impression of 12 gauge wire is that it could flame on before it tripped that 50 amp breaker. I would never ever ever consider running a wire with less ampacity than the breaker that feeds it.