Help Me Decide On My First Tractor - Central Texas

/ Help Me Decide On My First Tractor - Central Texas #11  
You're welcome Jeff. Funny, its common in Texas but I never saw it spelled that way.

/ Help Me Decide On My First Tractor - Central Texas #12  
Very nice place. I think you're going to have to increase your budget from $10,000 - $15,000 in order to get the tractor and equipment you need.

Listen to Jeff. You do NOT want to buy small and then trade up to a larger tractor. You will spend a lot more money in the long run, and you'll be frustrated in the short term. Only suffer the pain once.

/ Help Me Decide On My First Tractor - Central Texas #13  
A ford 1920 or 2120 would fit the bill nicely and can be had for $9-$12k. They are very stout machines and if well cared for will still be running when your boys are buying property of their own.

/ Help Me Decide On My First Tractor - Central Texas #15  
I think you are on track. I would add a grapple and of course hydraulics up front to to run it. Look at what I have, I think that would work for you. Or something similar. Now it is just a matter of the money.
Of course I can't comment on area dealers, and there are a lot of good brands.

I'm with k0ua on the grapple.........but then I have "Grapple Envy".

While you're here pay special attention to the "Safety" Threads. Tractors are like guns..........you must always treat them with respect and be very careful with them.

Charlie

/ Help Me Decide On My First Tractor - Central Texas #16  
My new vocabulary word for today. Thank you.

motte
noun

1. a stand of trees, especially in the southwestern US; a grove.

2. historical; a mound forming the site of a castle or camp.

I learned that word driving through Elm Mott on the way to Austin.

Charlie

/ Help Me Decide On My First Tractor - Central Texas #18  
The tractor will be used for:
Shredding ~35 acres - Smaller shredder is fine because it doesn't have to be done in a day or two and just want to keep things from getting too overgrown.
4 foot at the absolute minimum - heavy duty regardless of width
Pulling dead wood / brush - Pulling logs and small/medium downed trees out to cut them up and stack them. Moving brush piles around for burning. --- GRAPPLE
Making a shooting berm - Piling dirt for small berm for handgun and rifle shooting. --- BOX BLADE & loader bucket
Making a driveway - Smoothing dirt and laying gravel for a driveway. ---- BOX BLADE
Clearing brush from under hardwoods - Not sure this is a job for a tractor or not. ---- chainsaw and grub hoe to clear - pile right there then carry off with GRAPPLE
it's dragging the brush away that makes that job hard
Gathering and moving small rocks - Strewn over surface of property ---- lawn trailer pulled by lawn tractor or high lift golf buggy ... and 2 pick up boys

of all the implements I have - the grapple is the one that has paid for itself multiple times over.

/ Help Me Decide On My First Tractor - Central Texas #20  
I am going to diverge a little here. With 60 acres I would go bigger. Shredding 35 acres is going to take quite a while with a 4' - I wouldn't even consider that. 60 acres is a lot to cover and while it could be done with 30-40 hp tractor most would prefer larger. Being a red guy I would suggest an IH 574 or 656 depending on if you want the utility or row crop frame. There are many on TractorHouse for $5-7k. With these you get more hp and weight to be able to do things with. You stated no need to have a little one. The other thing is that these bigger tractors will probably cost no more than the 30-40 hp used tractors of the same vintage. Farmers have moved up to 90-100 hp min for utility type tractors and these guys have gotten left behind. The guy with 3-15 acres does not want something this big because it is more of a lawn to them. JD 3020 or 4020 (powershift) or 2630 or something like that will probably be a little more money because of the green paint but will do very well also. These tractors will have more pulling and lifting capacity and will handle tress and bigger things much better. As you go bigger in the tractors the FWA is not as important.

I certainly agree with what you described that an FEL with a grapple bucket - not just a grapple fork on a regular bucket - would be very useful. Clearing brush from under hardwoods - I would get a utility type tractor, i.e. IH 574 and loader with grapple and go to it. Shredding 6' minimum. Box blade or rear angle blade 7'. You will be frustrated with smaller. As somebody said earlier don't take three tries to go big enough. Unless you have a reason to stay small I would go big and git-r-done. You won't regret it.