Help me expand my music collection!

/ Help me expand my music collection! #91  
Linda was great. Funny story.....years ago.....I think around 1971....was at McCabes Guitar store in So. Calif. to see a young performer by the name of Jackson Browne.....he was playing with David Lindley. This club is really small......standing near the stage barefoot was Linda Ronstadt. Toward the end of the show.....Jackson invited her and a couple of guys up on stage.....the guys were total unknowns.....Glenn Frey, Don Hendley and JD Souther. I don't think any of them were signed to a record contract at the time. They were great!!!
Now that's a memory to hold on to.

/ Help me expand my music collection! #92  
Linda was great. Funny story.....years ago.....I think around 1971....was at McCabes Guitar store in So. Calif. to see a young performer by the name of Jackson Browne.....he was playing with David Lindley. This club is really small......standing near the stage barefoot was Linda Ronstadt. Toward the end of the show.....Jackson invited her and a couple of guys up on stage.....the guys were total unknowns.....Glenn Frey, Don Hendley and JD Souther. I don't think any of them were signed to a record contract at the time. They were great!!!

Wow!!!!

/ Help me expand my music collection! #93  
I had a buddy who wrote music reviews for Rolling Stone Mag. and the LA Times back then. Went to lots of great concerts and clubs back in the day. We were in the bar at the Troubadour the night David Geffen signed the Eagles to a record deal. Saw some great acts back in the 70's........they were unknown at the time. Also got to attend the opening of the Roxy Theater in 73'. That club was opened by Lou Adler, Geffen and Peter Asher. Neil Young came out of semi retirement for the opening. Opening act was Cheech and Chong, then Crosby and Nash.....finally Neil Young. Lots of folks in the audience....was a really big deal. A couple tables from us was Joni Mitchell and Souther. Bunch of other music folks in the room......Morrison.....Frey.....Moon.......Zappa....Marley to name a few. Back then......we used to go to these clubs because my buddy was an invited guest from the band or the club.....they hoped he would write a positive review. We got to drink for free and listen to some great music. What an experience.

/ Help me expand my music collection! #94  
Hey folks, since I've noticed here mentioned Zappa, let me ask, what is an opinion of N. Americans about Frank's music? Here are many of us, who like FZ music very much. We even have a monument of him. His wife with the kids have visited it within Dweezil' project here "Zappa plays Zappa" a few years ago. FZ's music indeed is fantastic, but I've heard there are different appreciation concerning his lyrics and some political activity. Is that correct?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/63/Zapp_cu.jpg

Last edited:
   / Help me expand my music collection! #95  
Zappa was a musical genius.......one heck of a guitar player and very interesting from a political perspective. He was actually fairly conservative on a personal basis but was outspoken on topics of concern. I am sure he ticked off some people but......who hasn't?

/ Help me expand my music collection! #96  
I've grown up with Zappa's music from my teens. And still watching his concert videos. He was my favourite musician, composer and arranger. Most of musicians, who played with him, are still among the best ones: G.Duke, T.Bozzio, N.M.Brock, R.Underwood, T.Fowler, J.-L.Ponty and many more. I've attended a concert few years ago of Ike Willis and Ray White, who really transferred some spirit of those days, when Frank was alive. :thumbsup:

FRANK ZAPPA - Whippin' Post - YouTube

Last edited:
   / Help me expand my music collection! #97  
I don't think I mentioned before...

Look up Katey Sagal. Yes, of Married with Children Peg Bundy fame.

She is a pretty good vocalist. Apparently she sang frequently for Sons of Anarchy show.
I was pleasantly surprised when I happened upon a youtube of her singing.
I was also surprised to find she was one of Bette Midler's backing vocalists in '78, '82-83.

Katey Sagal "Goodbye" - YouTube
The Forest Rangers - Son Of A Preacher Man (Live @ Stagecoach 214) - YouTube
Katey Sagal "Free Fallin'" Live At Hardly Strictly Bluegrass - YouTube