Help me identify this noise.

/ Help me identify this noise.
Ok, I finally got around to sealing the PTO back in the tractor. One day I'll fill with oil and make sure it works. But I don't have time for that right now.

/ Help me identify this noise. #72  
Curious why you didn't go back with a gasket?

Curious why you didn't go back with a gasket?
Because I use RTV for most stuff. I had it on hand, didn't have to buy it. And maybe it's me and I don't know how to use gaskets but I have had leaks useing them...if I'm smearing them with RTV I don't see the point in useing the gasket. But that's just me.

/ Help me identify this noise. #75  
I use RTV for most stuff. I had it on hand, didn't have to buy it. ...if I'm smearing them with RTV I don't see the point in using the gasket.
Agree. I used RTV for the pto assembly, and the axle housing I replaced. Both locations simply engage a spline so a minor difference in gasket thickness isn't significant.

20190410_151607r-jpg.602943

/ Help me identify this noise. #76  
I have used both countless of times. Esp. when it's hard to get to the bolts making sure I don't want the Gasket to move. And some the tolerances are so bad your going to use both. BTDT. Prefer a clean surface and gasket myself.

I filled it with oil this morning and ran it around. Just driving it different speeds without an implement right now, no noise heard. Let's hope it stays that way. Before it was easily autible over the engine running.

Used the disk harrow this evening for 30 mins or so. This was what was in when I heard the noise. Anyway no noise when pulling it or carrying it around lifted.