Help me identify this noise.

/ Help me identify this noise. #51  
Weird. Where does this piece go? I am having trouble visualizing how it would be spinning to grove like that.

All the best,

Peter

/ Help me identify this noise. #52  
   / Help me identify this noise. #53  
No groves on either one of mine. Just an extremely hard seal. Micro pits was the only thing and why I left the Collar. Which I did go over with the Emory Cloth. Cleaned right up and not much Hyd. fluid loss in 10yrs. A pint or two maybe The few drips I do get if any now for some reason gets soaked up by the tire or cought by the wheel itself. No trace of it the next morning except on the wheel itself. Still best I just let it go which I had to at the time. Already have a bucket of new TSC. 303 equivalent. Never use the 3 point much. Lift the mower is about it so I'm going to 1000 hrs. before I change it. New Filter/Screen last Hyd. Serv. so I know I'm good there.

/ Help me identify this noise.
Weird. Where does this piece go? I am having trouble visualizing how it would be spinning to grove like that.

All the best,

Peter
Its a wear collar that slips over the axle and the seal rides on it. Its a sacrificial surface so you don't have to replace an axle shaft that's grooved. Look a few posts up where the shaft is wrapped in blue towels, the new bearing on it and just to the outside of it by the splines you see the new one.

/ Help me identify this noise.
No groves on either one of mine. Just an extremely hard seal. Micro pits was the only thing and why I left the Collar. Which I did go over with the Emory Cloth. Cleaned right up and not much Hyd. fluid loss in 10yrs. A pint or two maybe The few drips I do get if any now for some reason gets soaked up by the tire or cought by the wheel itself. No trace of it the next morning except on the wheel itself. Still best I just let it go which I had to at the time. Already have a bucket of new TSC. 303 equivalent. Never use the 3 point much. Lift the mower is about it so I'm going to 1000 hrs. before I change it. New Filter/Screen last Hyd. Serv. so I know I'm good there.
You also realize that the fluid is how your bearings are lubed as well. Oil breaks down on heat and cooling cycles. I personally would change it at a minimum of the listed interval. I change mine now a days every 5 years..maybe a bit longer .

/ Help me identify this noise. #56  
My first Serv. was a tell tale again the use on my 3pt.. Pickup screen was even pinch in half and looked as though someone replaced the screen at one time. Esp. compared to the new replacement. Fredricks so it's the correct one. Copper looking weld. Huge bead ran down it. The Hyd. fluid at the bottom looked as thick as a Vanilla milk shake. I am not kidding!! Been in there a while so I'm not that worried. My couple of drop drip hasn't even showed up a few times. I have to be honest there may have been a operator error involved also. I put much in it when I changed it. It started to stop when it went down to 3/4 on stick...........🙄

/ Help me identify this noise. #57  
The Hyd. fluid at the bottom looked as thick as a Vanilla milk shake. I am not kidding!! .......🙄

Oh no. Did you flush a few times with clean diesel? It should get the vanilla milk shake mess purged from the system. Then fresh J20C spec'ed fluid.

/ Help me identify this noise. #58  
Walmart Distribution is not far from me. A couple miles so Local stores are well stocked with a few options. This was on sale Hydraulic Fluid Oil - Super S 303 5 Gallon Bucket - Walmart.com I'm after the JD303.... Crazy on the different options with todays needs. I flushed it a few times and a rag attached to a cloths hanger since the filter/screen was out.

/ Help me identify this noise. #59  
Walmart Distribution is not far from me. A couple miles so Local stores are well stocked with a few options. This was on sale Hydraulic Fluid Oil - Super S 303 5 Gallon Bucket - Walmart.com I'm after the JD303.... Crazy on the different options with todays needs. I flushed it a few times and a rag attached to a cloths hanger since the filter/screen was out.

You do know that JD303 is 45+ years obsolete and it's BANNED in several states. JD303 was never the fluid for the Yanmars either. Yanmar and JD teamed up to engineer J20A, a remarkable 1st for them. It's gone thru enhancements to J20B and finally J20C+J20D.

JD303 BANNED, just why?
https://www.tractorlife.com/2018/06...e-the-dangers-of-303-tractor-hydraulic-fluids & https://www.nu-tierbrands.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/did_you_know_john_deere_303_thf.pdf

AND, there are Class Action lawsuits against makers of the so called JD303 out there right now. JD303 offers nearly no protection. It would explain why so many machines end up with Vanilla milk shake mix in the hydraulic system.
Smitty’s Supply, Rural King Hit with Class Action Alleging Sale of ‘Obsolete’ 303 Hydraulic Tractor Fluid

And another Class Action Lawsuit
https://wgbclaw.com/practice/303-tractor-hydraulic-fluid-class-actions & https://wgbclaw.com/class-action-lawsuits-address-damage-caused-by-tractor-hydraulic-fluid

The State of Missouri is the first to ban the sale of 303 THF, others then followed.

The Petroleum Quality Institute of America conducted a study of 303 fluids purchased from store shelves at random in 2017/2018 in order to determine their performance levels. Their results were shocking to say the least: Don't take chances with '303' Tractor Fluid - PPC Lubricants, Inc.
  • 91% failed to meet the J20-C and J20-A specifications - - - (J20A Yanmar influence for YM/50 Series)
  • 74% failed to meet any JDM specifications
  • 60% chance of lower anti-wear protection than J20-C
  • 73% chance will offer less detergency than J20-C
303 fluids are a risk. They are often poorly manufactured as the result of low-quality components at inadequate dosing rates which can lead to a host of problems:
  • Insufficient startup protection in cold weather
  • Excessive pump leakage at higher operating temperatures
  • Inability to resist oxidation
  • Tendency for oil thickening and sludge formation
  • Buildup of harmful deposits
Any of the above is reason enough to steer clear of ‘303’ but several or even all is putting your equipment and operation at great risk…both of which cost money.

Just get the right stuff baby, uh huh. ;) And that also includes the universal types that meet or exceed the J20C standard too.
1635887583397.png

Last edited:
   / Help me identify this noise. #60  
I Knew that commented it was Crazy!! Carbon, Gas,Elec cars there find something to gripe about. And on Elec. cars here's my opinion of a slight problem of having one. I think I'll keep on with the 303 since I bought a 5 gallons to change it.

Attachments

• Elec car problem..jpg
    Elec car problem..jpg
    425.7 KB · Views: 50