Help me identify this noise.

/ Help me identify this noise. #61  
I Knew that commented it was Crazy!! Carbon, Gas,Elec cars there find something to gripe about. And on Elec. cars here's my opinion of a slight problem of having one. I think I'll keep on with the 303 since I bought a 5 gallons to change it.

You can exchange the 303 because it's WALMART. :)

/ Help me identify this noise. #63  
... JD303 was never the fluid for the Yanmars either. ...
Yes it was. A long time ago. YM195 - YM240 Operator Manual, pdf page 55:
UTF JD303.jpg

/ Help me identify this noise.
I test fit the PTO .
IMG_20211103_183851066.jpg
I would say the hardest part I guess would be to get the PTO lever in the PTO fork. You can see that shiney nub in gap between PTO and tractor. I took the below picture so that you can see the shift lever on the left . Look at the top of the PTO cover and on the left side (right over that top left bolt hole) that small shiney thing is the shift lever. Its sitting in the fork that changes the PTO speed. The second pic below you can see a better pic of the shifter without the PTO assembly in.
IMG_20211103_183906837.jpg

IMG_20210929_192322883.jpg
I will clean both surfaces with brake clean and then smear RTV on the surfaces and push it back in place and follow proper RTV directions for torquing down.

Last edited:
   / Help me identify this noise. #65  
View attachment 719497

And like rScotty has shown plenty of times, that those old manuals are not reliable on certain things.

Basically it's saying use just about anything you want. Only the J20A from back then is listed as Hy-Gard Transmission Oil. The rest is the wild frontier of anything goes. Even 10W30 would suffice.

/ Help me identify this noise. #66  
View attachment 719497

Since the JD compacts of the 50, 55, 56, 70 & 90 Series are all Yanmars, the WCCE Division of John Deere Turf and Equipment publication for compact tractors March-2014 shows;

1635984757487.png

1635984805468.png

Glad they don't list JD303 or anything goes listed as a fluid. ;)

JD303 was never tested like this - - -
John Deere Oil Guide 2019.pdf
1635985273910.png

1635985328998.png

/ Help me identify this noise. #67  
.. those old manuals are not reliable on certain things.

Basically it's saying use just about anything you want. ... Even 10W30 would suffice.
No question that JD303 is a grossly obsolete spec. Whale oil hasn't been available for 50 years and 303 has the reputation for being where all the worst junk from the refinery ends up.

But these Yanmars don't seem to stress the lubricant to the degree as those tests you showed. Clemfor's gears in the post above are probably typical - I don't see wear in that 40 year old ring gear, like we do in the test-rig photo. Maybe a life of rototilling is a low-stress application.

I don't recall ever seeing a post here saying 303 caused premature wear. I wouldn't think of using it in anything with wet clutches (PowerShift in our instance) or brakes, or hydraulic-motor drives, but for a simple gear tractor it seems to work. That's what was in my YM240 and my backhoe hydraulics for several years between changes. There's none of that burnt-oil crud in the sump of either. I'm now using TSC's Premium (J20C) UTF for both. But that's for peace of mind, not based on anything I've observed. I wonder if the 303 from Warren Mfg (TSC, Autozone, Walmart) more or less meets what these tractors need, so long as it is replace according to schedule, while unknown brands test far worse - because the only standards for 303 are those made up by the producer.

/ Help me identify this noise. #68  
Whale oil!! SMDH........ :oops: That reminded me of just what came up with my Hyd. fluid so bad it looked like a Vanilla milk shake. Believe it or not I have seen what I recall was whale oil. If it wasn't it sure looked the same...............

/ Help me identify this noise. #69  
... Believe it or not I have seen what I recall was whale oil. If it wasn't it sure looked the same...............
I found a bottle can of Whale Oil plant food here in a rotting, leaking quart can as I cleaned up junk in the back of the barn. It was the real thing, 100% whale, according to the label. So it had been sitting there for 50 years or more. I poured it around an apple tree that was a couple of years old to help it grow.

Last edited:
   / Help me identify this noise. #70  
What the bottom of my Pan looked like. Whale oil.
1636147759608.png
I had to use a wire and rag to get it out. Almost thought I was pulling the pan and clean it. Used a mirror through the Filter housing and was able to get a good look at how clean it finally came. Super Nasty!!!...........