Help, need a special relief valve.

/ Help, need a special relief valve. #1  

Xfaxman

Super Star Member
Tractor
Toolcat 5610 G - Bobcat V417 - TORO+Loader
Have a finish mower on the Toolcat. It has a one way valve to prevent the blades from turning the wrong way. I think it might also let the motor spin down when aux hydraulic flow is shut off.

P3290009 Arrow.JPG

Last time I mowed the back yard one blade hit a root growing up on the surface. That stopped all rotation and the pressure side hose to the one way valve blew apart.

Aestr Hose.JPG

My question is, is there a combination fast acting pressure relief valve with a one way flow valve built in that would replace the existing one way valve and prevent blowing the hose again?

Last edited:
   / Help, need a special relief valve. #2  
I suspect you just had a bad hose or crimp. That shouldn't have really happened unless the hoses were not rated for the pressure the Toolcat is set at.

However, you can always mount a simple relief valve on the pressure side of the motor and connect the return side of the relief valve to the return line of the motor, while keeping the check valve as that is essential in this application. You can actually do all of that on the check valve look as long as the relief is before the check valve and the return of the relief is after the check valve.

/ Help, need a special relief valve. #3  
Not sure about a combination one, but you can put a cushion/crossover relief valve there to keep hoses from blowing.

/ Help, need a special relief valve. #4  
Xfaxman
I think the answer to your question is yes there are relief valves with free reverse flow or anti-cavitation features. I would look at Sun Hydraulic or Hydraforce website. These would require line mount body so with a little luck and couple of fittings could fit where the check is today.

/ Help, need a special relief valve. #5  
Great video Kenny. Thanks for posting !!

gg

/ Help, need a special relief valve.
Thank you everyone (y) .
I agree that it was poor quality hose. After it blew apart, there was no outer rubber covering left on the steel braid where the fitting was crimped down on it. I looked inside the crimp and there was no rubber in there. I think the escaping fluid washed it out.

P5140003.JPG
P5140002.JPG

I cut the crimp off from the fitting. There was some rubber left on the center tube so I removed that.

Tried to cut the braid with the bandsaw but it would not cut it. So I flared it out and back so the hose would slide all the way on the fitting. Put three small hose clamps on it so I could finish mowing. That did not work, blew apart when I turned on the aux hydraulics. :eek:

Had a new high pressure hose made:
P4290001.JPG

Last edited: