HELP PLUMBING SOLENOID VALVE

/ HELP PLUMBING SOLENOID VALVE #1  

wildwillie

Silver Member
Tractor
L3400,
I HAVE A NORTHMAN 3POSITION, DOUBLE SOLENOID,TANDEM CENTER SPOOL,12V SWH-GO2-C6-D12-10 WITH DO3 BASE FROM NORTHERN TOOL. CAME WITH NO INSTRUCTIONS JUST THE LETTERS APB ON ONE SIDE AND T ON THE OTHER SIDE. I ASSUME A&B GO TO THE CYLINDER, P IS FOR PRESSURE AND T IS RETURN TO TANK. NOW DO I JUST INSTALL A T IN THE LINES AT PB FOR THE FELL? I AM ADDING A GRAPPLE AND SNOW BLOWER WITH HYDRAULIC CHUTE ROTATION. TRACTOR IS L3400 KUBOTA WITH FEL. I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY INFO.

/ HELP PLUMBING SOLENOID VALVE #2  
First, PLEASE STOP YELLING AT US:D Typing in all caps is considered yelling and it's also very hard to read.

THIS is a link to the valve in question.

A and B ports do go to the cylinder-they are your "work" ports.

P is for Pressure or IN

T is for Tank or OUT

Now, You CANNOT Tee into the PB line from the FEL valve. All valve must be added in series. Adding the valve with a Tee will cause the fluid to bypass it because like current in a electrical circuit, the fluid will take the path of least resistance and bypass the new valve.

You need a hose from the PB port to the P (IN) of the solenoid valve, then the T (OUT) will connect back to the hose you removed form the PB port.

/ HELP PLUMBING SOLENOID VALVE
SO THERE IS NO NEED FOR A RETURN LINE ON THE VALVE IF IT IS IN SERIES ? THE PRESSURE RUNS THROUGH THE VALVE

/ HELP PLUMBING SOLENOID VALVE #4  
SO THERE IS NO NEED FOR A RETURN LINE ON THE VALVE IF IT IS IN SERIES ? THE PRESSURE RUNS THROUGH THE VALVE

Correct. Please turn the caps lock OFF!

/ HELP PLUMBING SOLENOID VALVE
Thanks for the advise. See even us north idaho red necks can be learnt stuff.

/ HELP PLUMBING SOLENOID VALVE #6  
Thanks for the advise. See even us north idaho red necks can be learnt stuff.

AAAHHH, Reading that does not hurt my eyes;)

Just to clarify, you only need a separate return if you are using a valve that has PB, and in your case the solenoid valve does not. Just plumb it in series on that PB hose from the FEL valve and you will be good-to-go...and you will only need 1/4" hoses from the work ports to the blower.

/ HELP PLUMBING SOLENOID VALVE #7  
I am watching this post very closely and will be doing the exact same thing. Kenny D:

Why do our loader valves have a non-pressurized return line, and the Northman solenoid valve does not? Is this so when you have the loader in "float" that the excess fluid can return?

/ HELP PLUMBING SOLENOID VALVE #8  
I am watching this post very closely and will be doing the exact same thing. Kenny D:

Why do our loader valves have a non-pressurized return line, and the Northman solenoid valve does not? Is this so when you have the loader in "float" that the excess fluid can return?

When a valve has a PB port (as do most loader valves) then the "waste" fluid from the work ports goes to the OUT line, with the remaining flow that the work ports do not use continuing through the valve's PB port to feed the next valve in the series.

Valve's without a PB port (or a PB port that's plugged) only have (or use) the OUT port, the "waste" fluid is mixed with the flow from the pump.

So since the solenoid valve does not have a PB port, then just IN and out ports are used.

Clear as mud?:D

/ HELP PLUMBING SOLENOID VALVE #9  
My translation: One less hydraulic line to purchase!! I like it already!

/ HELP PLUMBING SOLENOID VALVE #10  
It's strange that most manual valves "must have power beyond" if there is any downstream valve such as the 3ph control but these solenoid valves don't have it and everyone hooks them up in series as described above with no ill effects. As long as there is a valve upstream with PB and a relief to tank I personally don't see what it can hurt. I'm getting ready to do the same thing for my own grapple project.

Brad