Help selecting first tractor

/ Help selecting first tractor #1  

APguy

Tractor
None Yet
Hello, all.

I'm new to the forum and new to needing a tractor. We just recently moved from a .3 acre lot to a 6.5-acre lot with a pond, and I'm in the market for my first tractor. And, of course, I know very little about tractors, other than the research I have been doing for a few months.

I have a few options I'm considering, and I was hoping to get some input.

I'm certain that I want HST, Front Loader, and 4WD. I believe a larger sub-compact or compact tractor would fit my needs, although I've never owned a tractor before.

My budget is right at $20,000.

Here are the 2 I'm looking at:

2014 Mahindra Max 28XL HST
- FEL, Backhoe, 5' Cutting Deck, 5' Box
- 500 hours
- Seems like a goo deal, but not much on the market to compare to

2020 Kubota 2510
- FEL, Box, Forks, SSQA
- 200 hours

I plan to use the tractor for typical tasks for gardening, moving things around the property, and building and demoing the fenceline. My immediate projects are redoing the flower gardens around the house, leveling the property with some dirt, and building and demoing a fence.

My biggest question is, how important is a backhoe for these types of tasks? It seems like it could be handy in redoing the flower gardens around the house, but I could be wrong.

Do you have any opinions on these 2 tractors, are these even the right tractors?, etc.

Thanks for the help.

/ Help selecting first tractor #2  
A Backhoe is mostly for digging trenches to bury water or electrical lines etc. If you need one it is usually a one time deal. Better to rent one than own one and use it once.
Flower bed restoration may involve soil tilling. A rototiller is an option. Will you have lawns to mow? Or brush to mow? Trees to thin out, remove? What I'm saying is identify the scope of work then pick the right tool and attachments.

/ Help selecting first tractor #3  
Unless you plan on digging every week don’t get a backhoe. An excavator can be rented for a weekend relatively inexpensive compared to the cost of a backhoe. I use mine all the time but once I am done with my farm drainage project it will probably only be used for the occasional stump or animal carcass

/ Help selecting first tractor #4  
Hello, all.

I'm new to the forum and new to needing a tractor. We just recently moved from a .3 acre lot to a 6.5-acre lot with a pond, and I'm in the market for my first tractor. And, of course, I know very little about tractors, other than the research I have been doing for a few months.

I'm certain that I want HST, Front Loader, and 4WD. I believe a larger sub-compact or compact tractor would fit my needs, although I've never owned a tractor before.

- 500 hours

2020 Kubota 2510
- FEL, Box, Forks, SSQA
- 200 hours

I plan to use the tractor for typical tasks for gardening, moving things around the property, and building and demoing the fenceline. My immediate projects are redoing the flower gardens around the house, leveling the property with some dirt, and building and demoing a fence.

My biggest question is, how important is a backhoe for these types of tasks? It seems like it could be handy in redoing the flower gardens around the house, but I could be wrong.

Do you have any opinions on these 2 tractors, are these even the right tractors?, etc.

Thanks for the help.
The hoe is a tempting add-on, but it's really no contest.

The Kubota is newer with lower hours and is a well known premium quality tractor that holds it's value. Very reliable.

If you wanted to swap the Kubota for something else down the road you can do that, too. Or find a 3pt backhoe to fit it. Used 3pt implements are one of the biggest bargains out there.

rScotty

/ Help selecting first tractor #5  
I assume the Kubota you're looking at is an L2501, which is a workhorse in the Kubota line. I don't see any projects in your list that you'll need a backhoe for.
Your list of requirements seems spot on... HST (personal choice), 4wd, loader. Ideally the loader will be ssqa... Once you have it there is no going back.
Your project list could be satisfied with the loader, box blade, tiller (?), and post hole digger. A backhoe is going to be a hindrance is using 3 point implements, although some come off and on easy enough. Most manufactures do not recommend 3 point backhoes.

Happy shopping!

/ Help selecting first tractor #6  
The Kubota Standard L's are the industry standard for compact tractors. So I would definitely choose that between the two choices. You never mentioned anything about mowing. Will that also be a need?

/ Help selecting first tractor #7  
Hello, all.

- 500 hours

2020 Kubota 2510
- FEL, Box, Forks, SSQA
- 200 hours

Thanks for the help.
Skip the Max 28. Get the 1626 much better platform. Backhoe is very useful for a multitude of tasks. I won't not have one again.

/ Help selecting first tractor #8  
We recently moved from a .3 acre lot to a 6.5-acre lot with a pond.

I'm in the market for my first tractor.

Here are two tractors I'm looking at:

Mahinda Max 28 XL is a SUBCOMPACT tractor. Few here would recommend a SUBCOMPAT tractor with limited 6" to 9" of ground clearance for use on more than three smooth acres.

Minimal 9" ground clearance can make working in woodland difficult. If one wheel drops into a 4-1/2" burrow or rut and a second wheel goes up on a 4-1/2" mound or tree limb you may be stranded.

Subcompacts have two-range (2) HST transmissions.

Dimensions Max 28 XL
Length:109.3 inches
277 cm
Width:54.3 inches
137 cm
Gear Operating weight:1,819 lbs
825 kg
Hydro Operating weight:1,863 lbs
845 kg

2020 Kubota 2510 (Kubota L2501?)

The Kubota L2501 is a 800 pound heavier COMPACT TRACTOR.

Sufficient tractor weight is more important for most tractor applications than increased tractor horsepower. Bare tractor weight is a tractor specification easily found in sales brochures and web sites, readily comparable across tractor brands and tractor models, new and used.

Within subcompact and compact tractor categories, a significant tractor capability increase requires a bare tractor weight increase of 50%.

Five reasons owner/operators trade up from SUBCOMPACT tractors:
More tractor weight.
More FEL lift capacity.
Greater ground clearance
Three-range (3) HST standard on almost all COMPACT tractorsrather than two-range (2) HST standard on all SUBCOMPACT tractors. (Lower LOW, Higher, HIGH)
More tractor engine horsepower options to operate PTO powered implements.

Kubota L2501 Weight
2WD Gear :2425 lbs
1099 kg
4WD Gear :2601 lbs
1179 kg
4WD Hydro :2623 lbs
1189 kg

Not all Kubota L2501 tractors have optional 4-WD.

Last edited:
   / Help selecting first tractor #9  
Hello, all.

- 500 hours

2020 Kubota 2510
- FEL, Box, Forks, SSQA
- 200 hours

Thanks for the help.
Forget any older Mahindra. That seller is desperate to unload it