Help with roundup mixing.

/ Help with roundup mixing. #1  

dodge man

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 2025R
So I use roundup on a gravel area I have and on things like poison ivy and honeysuckle. I buy the Roundup brand name and make about 4 gallons in a backpack sprayer. The first time I followed the directions plus added a little extra, the results were disappointing. The next time I doubled the amount, better results but still not great. I had some of the pre made roundup, you don’t add water, I wanted to use up and it worked really well. That stuff is even more expensive and doesn’t go very far.

I spray mid morning when it’s hotter and sunny and so far it hasn’t rained for a few days after I apply it. What am I doing wrong? Do I need a surfactant?

/ Help with roundup mixing. #2  
So I use roundup on a gravel area I have and on things like poison ivy and honeysuckle. I buy the Roundup brand name and make about 4 gallons in a backpack sprayer. The first time I followed the directions plus added a little extra, the results were disappointing. The next time I doubled the amount, better results but still not great. I had some of the pre made roundup, you don’t add water, I wanted to use up and it worked really well. That stuff is even more expensive and doesn’t go very far.

I spray mid morning when it’s hotter and sunny and so far it hasn’t rained for a few days after I apply it. What am I doing wrong? Do I need a surfactant?
I have had a similar issue with Roundup although I have not tried the pre-mixed. I always add a surfactant and try to spray early when the plans may be absorbing the dew - especially during hot and dry stretches, usually avoiding spraying at all then.
Poison Ivy is a tough plant to kill as are many weeds. Hit them at the correct time (season, temp, active growth) and it works. Otherwise, it can be a real disappointment. If it's not too large an area, I would try Vinegar (white, strong). Other than that, your issue is my issue with Roundup.
Advice from a study:

To eradicate poison oak and poison ivy chemically, use an herbicide that contains glyphosate, triclopyr, or a 3-way herbicide that contains 2,4-D amine, dicamba, and mecoprop

Have tried ticlopyr with good results on woody stuff.

/ Help with roundup mixing. #4  
The surfactant is already in the solution. I use Roundup Max myself. It takes a little time to act unlike 24-D which is almost instant but stinks and you cannot purchase it (depending on where you live) without an applicators license. 24-D is more of a selective herbicide whereas Roundup is not selective, kills everything. I use 24-D on invasive milkweed in non alfalfa fields and 24-D (B) Buteryac on fields with alfalfa.

/ Help with roundup mixing. #5  
How soon do you expect it to work? I mix mine only slightly stronger than recommended and get good results, but it takes a few weeks. I apply when it won't rain for a couple of days, but after that the rain doesn't seem to matter.

/ Help with roundup mixing. #6  
I use Remedy for mesquite eradication and found it takes care of poison ivy, when mixing Remedy with water I use liquid laundry detergent for surfactant.

/ Help with roundup mixing. #7  
How soon do you expect it to work? I mix mine only slightly stronger than recommended and get good results, but it takes a few weeks. I apply when it won't rain for a couple of days, but after that the rain doesn't seem to matter.
Actually, applying Roundup before a rain event is ok, so long as the application is 4-6 hours previous but in reality, that applies to all herbicides as they are aspirated through the leaves.

/ Help with roundup mixing. #8  
From what I understand, you can actually mix Roundup or glyphosate in too strong of a solution, and it doesn't work as well as the recommended label instructions, which I think is 4-6oz/gallon.

I use generic glyphosate with the same results as the expensive Roundup brand.
For weed killing in the yard, I use Amine from TSC, which has 2-4D and some other stuff. Works pretty well, except for crabgrass.

/ Help with roundup mixing.
I use 2-4d in my yard so it doesn’t kill the grass. I realize it does take time for Roundup to work. I expect to see results in a week and in two weeks good results. I have figured out poison ivy and honeysuckle are tougher to kill. I’ve sprayed honeysuckle a couple of times over a summer and it took several weeks to really kill it. It seems like the roundup works well on grasses but less so on weeds. I also notice the results farmers get on there crops is better, for example roundup soybeans.