Hernia surgery

/ Hernia surgery #11  
I recently developed an inguinal hernia. Unfortunately that type is in the groin area, not exactly an area I want to be cut on. But hey, you do what you gotta do. I have an appointment with a surgeon Friday to discuss the possibilities going forward.

Anyone ever have hernia surgery? If you have had an inguinal hernia surgery, I would especially want to hear what you have to say.

My brother had the same as you, No problems since the surgery in March and the surgery didn't seem to be a big deal to him..

/ Hernia surgery #12  
I had the laparoscopic mesh done on my left side as well. Complete recovery took several years for me and I still get a twinge every now and then. Doc said it was rare for people to continue to experience pain as long as I did so maybe you will have better luck.

/ Hernia surgery #13  
Yep....had the surgery on the left side and he put mesh in. Later that evening the pain wasn't bad at all.....the next morning was something different. The pain was bad and it took a while to get out of bed and I was sweating so much off my nose, it was nearly a steady stream. If you plan on sitting on the toilet, get a riser. Having to drop those extra inches to sit was a killer. With the riser it wasn't as bad. I don't like taking opiates as they will stop you up.

/ Hernia surgery #14  
I had it done on both side about 5 years apart. In at 6 AM home in the afternoon. Hurts to cough, sit-up or pull legs up for about a week. Good results now it has been over 10 years and no problems with the inserted mesh. Any temporary handicap devices you can use to avoid using the lower abdomen muscles is recommended.

/ Hernia surgery #15  
I had inguinal hernia's on both sides as well as a herniated belly button repaired at the same time. (Three for the price of one?, yeah right) Surgeon dryly said, "you are going to be sore". First day or so I could not cantilever myself to get up out of bed without my wife's help. I was on the tractor mowing in about a week albeit very slowly. Pretty much "gimped" around for a month or so. I also had to wear suspenders while I healed. That was 2008, no issue since.

/ Hernia surgery #16  
My surgeon said if you are a man, its not a question of if you will get a hernia, but when!

/ Hernia surgery #17  
Had mine done about 83 or 84. It would pull and twinge for about the first year. Mine was the old fashion cut it open and sew it back up, no mesh. Spent one night in the hospital.
No problems out of it.

/ Hernia surgery #18  
Those of you who had the mesh: There are 2 kinds, the absorbable and synthetic which is not absorbed. Do you know which kind you have and are there any issues with it? How did your doctor come to refer you to surgery, and what kind of doctor did the surgery? I've got an abdominal tear and the mesh seems to be the answer, but family doctor told me that because of all the lawsuits over the mesh, getting someone to agree to do the surgery will be very difficult and doesn't know who to refer me to. (This is a small to medium size town.)

/ Hernia surgery #19  
I just had a consult yesterday for same issue. My dr is going to use a plug not mesh. He said I will be slinging 50 lb hay bales in a week or so. Back to my desk job in 2 days. So I am thinking surgery on Thursday. Back to day job on Monday.

/ Hernia surgery #20  
He said I will be slinging 50 lb hay bales in a week or so.

That sounds optimistic. I have had both sides done. Left one, no problem. Right one, laid up for three days. Two different surgeons so their talent may have been the difference. Both were outpatient deals, in at 7 AM out at Noon. Drugs, Ice and two Jock Straps to hold you together for 72 hours. Good Luck.

SimS