Hernia surgery

/ Hernia surgery #21  
I had mesh put on both sides. Do note fellows, this surgery is a repair the torn liner which holds our intestines in. When we work, like when we pick up something, this stresses the liner very, vey much. Hernia repair surgery requires time to heal and grow scar tissue over whatever system was used to keep it from blowing out again. This healing takes time....

Last edited:
   / Hernia surgery
I searched YouTube last night for a little info about this surgery. One of the videos said that if you have had laparoscopic prostrate surgery you may not be a candidate for laparoscopic hernia surgery for an inguinal hernia. I have had the prostrate surgery. Was hoping to do this hernia thing using the laparoscopic method. Guess I'll find out the options at my appointment with the surgeon Friday.

/ Hernia surgery #23  
Had both sides done in 1996 by laproscopy. Surgeon used mesh, but I don't know what kind. I had the surgery Friday as an outpatient and was back to work Monday on light duty for a week. My abs were what hurt due to the 4 incisions they made through my abdomen. They were very sore for a day or two as I recall whenever getting up (think sit-up) from the bed etc, but otherwise fine. I may have taken one pain killer the day of the surgery and maybe some ibuprofen the next day. I have never had a problem since then. No continuing pain or anything.

Today, with our new Short-Term Disability policies, etc, you'd probably get at least a couple weeks out of work for it. Hahahaha. Kids these days....

/ Hernia surgery #24  
I had mesh installed both sides, about 4 years apart,, around a ~decade ago

I had no reason to "push" the lifting, but, I was back to normal in a month,,
I do not "baby" my repairs,, for exercise, I have been moving and decorating around the shrubs with rock,,

r9iAAIn.jpg

All hand digging, and lifting, during the last couple weeks of 90 degree heat,, probably 20-30 loads so far,,
and also, the digging to plant about 25 new shrubs,,
I used the Gravely rotary plow to dig some of the more difficult holes,, so I did cheat a little,,
The Gravely can be just as hard on a hernia as a shovel,,,

/ Hernia surgery #25  
I've posted before that I had the hernia surgery on 6/14/98, on the left side, so it's been over 21 years ago, and it was day surgery. They asked if I wanted to be put to sleep, or if I'd rather do a spinal block. I decided to go with the spinal block since it was something new that I'd never had before. And that big stainless steel overhead light fixture made a good mirror, so I watched him do the job, and when he realized I could see what he was doing, he narrated and explained as he went.:laughing: So, yep, he sewed in a good sized mesh patch. Now of course, in addition to the incision, he pulled and stretched things; had some tools that looked like a bent spatula that he used to pull and stretch things apart. Now of course it was painless at the time, but the next time I sow him, I told him I was sure glad I watched him do it; otherwise, when the anesthetic wore off, I'd have sworn he left a knife in there.:laughing: But the recovery and 21 years later, no problem.

/ Hernia surgery #26  
Had bilateral hernia surgery (that's both sides) done twice. First time was laparoscopic, just a few small incisions they said, it'll be great they said. Didn't hold. Tried to follow all the instructions, no lifting, no bending or straining, blah, blah, blah. Nope. Was out 2 weeks the first time, then restricted duty for 6 weeks (machinist/steel fabricator, tossing 80-100 lb piece parts around all day at work, so "restricted duty" was required). Less than a year later I was back for both sides again. This time different Dr, the full "gut-you-like-a-fish-and-put-a-screen-door-in-your-abdomen-while-sewing-up-the-torn-canyons" kind of surgery. The second surgeon says to me that he doesn't know why they still do the laparoscopic mesh thing at all, because he spends half his time redoing those (like mine) when they fail.

Still have trouble in the area. Sensitive and still sore most of the time (4 years later). I switched jobs, which helps, and I try not to lift too much anymore. But still bothers me today.

I also have a hiatal hernia, which is the one in the diaphragm muscle between your stomach and your upper chest. That one they only operate on if they "have to", because, as my Dr. explained it, they have to split your breast bone, and the recovery pain is rather severe. Plus most of the time it doesn't hold, and the hernia comes back.

Oh good.

Good luck with yours.

/ Hernia surgery #27  
"gut-you-like-a-fish-and-put-a-screen-door-in-your-abdomen-while-sewing-up-the-torn-canyons"

That sounds like what I had.......fun.

/ Hernia surgery #28  
The rate of failure for laparoscopic is higher than regular surgery. That's why I went with the plain old type. No matter what type you have done, if you stress your gut well enough, you'll need to have it done again no matter what type you had the 1st time.

/ Hernia surgery #29  
I knew exactly when I tore my gut. It was when I was helping the septic pumper lift the cover off the tank. I felt a slight twinge of pain and about 4 months later....bulge.

/ Hernia surgery #30  
I knew exactly when I tore my gut. It was when I was helping the septic pumper lift the cover off the tank. I felt a slight twinge of pain and about 4 months later....bulge.

For me, both sides,, I was diagnosed during a physical,, I never felt a bit of discomfort from the "bulge" the doc had to point it out,,,:eek: