Hey....Coffee Lovers.... question...

/ Hey....Coffee Lovers.... question... #31  
It's a nice thought on your part, and chances are that it would be the last one you have to buy. However, I would consider giving her the greenhouse if that's what she would really like.
Sounds like he should do both coffee maker and greenhouse. Whadda ya think?

We, my better half and I, love coffee with chicory. We drink coffee all day long at home. The best coffee maker we have ever had was a BUNN which brewed 10 cups in 3 minutes.

Last edited:
   / Hey....Coffee Lovers.... question...
Bit of an update.... I looked at her machine this morning. It's made 11,979 cups so far. If I bought her a new one for (example) $3,000, other than consumables, if it lasted as long then that's only .25+ cents/cup over that same time frame. (of course, that FIRST cup is pretty darn expensive!)

I might add.... as far as I know, the only repair it's required was when the water pump died...and that was approximately $100 to fix (I did it so that was part alone).

I was going to replace (what they call) the Brew Group. This is the cylinder that packs the grounds while they're being watered....then spits the puck out. This really is the heart of the machine in my opinion. I think a new Brew Group Assembly is $250/350 for part alone (easy to open machine and swap out)

The machine was dead in the water. I presumed the Brew Group had finally ground to a halt (no pun intended) so figured I'd pull it out, disassemble it.... had nothing to lose. If I could get it back, then great, if not, time for new.

Took it 100% apart, cleaned it all by hand in a very detailed way. Greased up the moving parts put back together and it's working as smooth as ever.

Point being.... it's been a workhorse. That 11,000 cups of coffee represent 11,000 times the brew group has smashed some grounds, watered them and spat it out.

Durability like that makes me less concerned than buying something less expensive that might not last as long.

and if that's something she looks forward to in the morning.....

/ Hey....Coffee Lovers.... question... #33  
I guess I don't understand the impetus to replace it if it makes the best coffee people have ever tasted, the machine still works, and she'll be mad at you spending the money?
Sounds like she wants something greenhouse related if you're looking for something to get her?

/ Hey....Coffee Lovers.... question... #34  
Have to agree with your logic Richard. Good job keeping that one cranking! I bet your wife appreciates you taking the time to do that easily as much, maybe more, as you shelling out $3k for a new one.

I know when I fix something like that my wife is very appreciative.

So now you need a new thread, how to build a greenhouse in a small area ;)

/ Hey....Coffee Lovers.... question... #35  
After trying many machines, traveling many coffee abscessed countries including Italy, France, Egypt, Israel, Turkey and what not I settled on hand made Turkish "jasva", "finjun" and it has at least a dozen different names. The key, it has to be pure copper hand made.

Attachments

• 20230115_090852.jpg
    20230115_090852.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 51
Last edited:
   / Hey....Coffee Lovers.... question... #36  
I'm really with you guys from a practical perspective. That said (and I've witnessed this BUT, will leave the door open that they were simply being "nice")

Literally ever single person who's been here....and had some coffee has said it's the best they've ever had. Grounds are from local store, nothing fancy there. We're on a well (we DO have good water and that's got to be at least a small factor) the only other variable.... is the machine.

If you don't know, what it does is take your grounds.... compresses them into what they call a puck. Then, via pressure, the heated water goes through the puck on the way to your cup.

In a nutshell, that's what it does. At the end of the cycle, it spits the wet puck out into a hopper that's held inside the machine, you pull that out from time to time and dump the pucks.

I'll take an extra cold Coke any day of the week....even in winter. I am simply not a coffee person nor, am I really, much of a hot liquids person (hot chocolate, cocoa or tea for example)

Though I personally roll my eyes a bit at this..... I look at it this way. I have some toys. I have my riding mower, large tractor, industrial backhoe/loader, absolutely killer stereo (using large cinema grade horn speakers).... AND, I'm debating on replacing my 20 gallon X? horsepower Campbell Hausfield air compressor..... with a 60 gallon two stage replacement, looking at a Quincy.

She loves her couple cups of coffee during the day.... I'm ok with splurging on it. Truth be told, she will probably claw my eyes out if I do this because SHE is more frugal than me. ONLY reason she's got this one is she got it free and I put $100 into fixing it. If I ASK her about this, she'd say no, don't do it.... she'd probably rather put said funds to creating a greenhouse for herself. My thinking is, Happy Birthday..... now, if you're still going to drag me down the chat for the greenhouse, we'll do that too, it might just be slower because you're now drinking your fancy coffee.
the coffee maker works, build her a greenhouse. you probably NEED the new compressor for that job :LOL:

/ Hey....Coffee Lovers.... question... #38  
the coffee maker works, build her a greenhouse. you probably NEED the new compressor for that job :LOL:
At last, somebody inserting LOGIC into the discussion!!!!

/ Hey....Coffee Lovers.... question... #39  

Yea. The coffee machine works and you can fix it when it breaks. Unless she's been mooning over new machines for a while, she's probably content with it.

I'd ask her what she wants. I've been with my wife for 30+ years. She's very level headed and consistent and I still sometimes get stuff wrong.

/ Hey....Coffee Lovers.... question... #40  
In the spirit of so many threads here....

I hate coffee. Tea is so much better, more affordable and the attachments cost less too. Not only that, it is better for you. :)